On the Beat - Episode 187 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up June 28th, 2013

tgjameela

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 28th-2013/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

The big News this week was the addition of a couple songs from artists that have long been neglected at TG.
I started with a teaser song that is not a lesson but I stumbled into it as I was looking at other tunes and it has
always been one I liked by Tom Petty. I also took some time to talk about things that came up on the Forum,
namely capos, guitar stands, and triplets, as well as an unforeseen personal dilemma.

The week’s releases included Highwayman by Jimmy Webb (Glen Campbell’s version and The Highwaymen’s),
For You by Tracy Chapman, Six Easy Classical Guitar Pieces, Leader Of The Band by Dan Fogelberg, and
Into The Great Wide Open by Tom Petty. The last two songs are what I referred to as artists too long neglected here at TG.

Heading into a very hot weekend out here in the west, hope everybody gets a chance to play a little guitar…

willem

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks ,,,nice weekend,,,

haoli25

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Placerville is getting a really good bass player. I hope Bob sends us a bass lesson every once in awhile.

Hydroman52

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:22 pm

Ah, is the TG Banner back on the road?

unclewalt

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Neil: I'm curious which Petty song you think is dumb at the same level as (I presume) "Abracadabra." I don't think anyone will take it personally - at least, they shouldn't. I like Petty (though mostly as a live act), but I'm not a huge fan, so it might be something I don't even know. I just can't think of what it might be, offhand.

Seriously, though: I've seen Petty with the Heartbreakers live a few times, and that is one killer band. Tight as can be.

Update: after thinking a bit, I'm going to take a guess: "Refugee." It's probably my least favorite of his, mainly because the lyrics are so astoundingly, jaw-droppingly dumb. My experience was (this was when I was in high school) that I thought "American Girl" was an amazing, song - I still think so, in fact - about the perfect American rock and roll tune. Then when I first heard "Refugee" not long after, I didn't even know it was the same band at first. I disliked it so much it colored my opinion of the whole group until a couple of years later.

suziko

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:42 pm

unclewalt wrote:
Neil: I'm curious which Petty song you think is dumb at the same level as (I presume) "Abracadabra." I don't think anyone will take it personally - at least, they shouldn't. I like Petty (though mostly as a live act), but I'm not a huge fan, so it might be something I don't even know. I just can't think of what it might be, offhand.

Seriously, though: I've seen Petty with the Heartbreakers live a few times, and that is one killer band. Tight as can be.

Update: after thinking a bit, I'm going to take a guess: "Refugee." It's probably my least favorite of his, mainly because the lyrics are so astoundingly, jaw-droppingly dumb. My experience was (this was when I was in high school) that I thought "American Girl" was an amazing, song - I still think so, in fact - about the perfect American rock and roll tune. Then when I first heard "Refugee" not long after, I didn't even know it was the same band at first. I disliked it so much it colored my opinion of the whole group until a couple of years later.
I love American Girl, too (how could one not?) and I can't listen to it without thinking of the scene in Silence of the Lambs where Brooke Smith sings along to it while driving her car. It's such a classic windows-down, stereo-blasting, car-song.

unclewalt

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:01 pm

suziko wrote:
unclewalt wrote:

I love American Girl, too (how could one not?) and I can't listen to it without thinking of the scene in Silence of the Lambs where Brooke Smith sings along to it while driving her car. It's such a classic windows-down, stereo-blasting, car-song.
Indeed. A lesser-known song, "Rebels," is my other favorite of his. It came out right around when I moved into the middle of the central Illinois corn from Chicago for college. The Southern references aside, it resonated for me because after I was down there for about a week, I had to call my then-girlfriend (who hadn't moved down yet) to come bail me out of jail (nothing very serious, but I spent the night in an orange jumpsuit, playing poker for cigarettes), and we had a big fight in the car.

lueders

Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:47 am

If I was gonna throw out a guess as to which tune of Mr. Petty's, Mr. Hogan finds the most painful...I would have to guess the one he did with Stevie Nicks. (Don't Go Dragging My Heart Around) I say that because I think I remember him making mention of that particular tune.

I really enjoy some Tom Petty Tunes. I like American Girl, a lot too.
I like Breakdown...Neil your version was very cool.

I have always thought "Learning To Fly" was one of Petty's weakest.
Shoddy, lazy songwriting in my opinion. (both lyrically and guitar-wise)
C, Amin, F, G...50s profession...straight lazy strumming no embellishments...the coolest thing in the whole tune
is that flock of wounded seagulls sound in the intro.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:08 am

About the "dumbest song by ..." tangent, I don't think Neil was talking about Tom Petty, but rather Steve Miller.

If you go to the video at 3min40sec, I think he is agreeing with a post that mentioned the tune "Abracadabra".

[Edit]
Duuhhh ... ok, there was actually another level of digression ... I now see the possible ;) Tom Petty reference ...
That's what happens when you chop onions while watching the TG news. But at least I still have all my fingers :)
... wonder what that tune is ...

Pierre

unclewalt

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:32 am

lueders wrote:
If I was gonna throw out a guess as to which tune of Mr. Petty's, Mr. Hogan finds the most painful...I would have to guess the one he did with Stevie Nicks. (Don't Go Dragging My Heart Around) I say that because I think I remember him making mention of that particular tune.

I really enjoy some Tom Petty Tunes. I like American Girl, a lot too.
I like Breakdown...Neil your version was very cool.

I have always thought "Learning To Fly" was one of Petty's weakest.
Shoddy, lazy songwriting in my opinion. (both lyrically and guitar-wise)
C, Amin, F, G...50s profession...straight lazy strumming no embellishments...the coolest thing in the whole tune
is that flock of wounded seagulls sound in the intro.
I kinda like "Learning to Fly" pretty well, but I'm a sucker for that progression. But yeah, "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" is a chore.

There's reason that progression is so popular, by the way. I'm certain this has been posted here before, but:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic