On the Beat - Episode 189 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up July 12th, 2013

tgjameela

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 12th-2013/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

The big news this week for me was finally getting to some songs that have been on my list (and the Recommend A Lesson list)
for a long time. I did a recap of our new songs and then talked a bit about repeat signs, text repeats, del segno, codas, and such.
It was probably not enough to completely clear anything up but we al know that the more you hear the same thing, in slightly
different terms, the better you start understanding it.

The new lessons this week included Glen Campbell’s version of By The Time I Get To Phoenix, Pocahontas by Neil Young,
Every Breath You Take by The Police, Gabrielle Aplin’s Please Don’t Say You Love Me, and You Don’t Mess Around With Jim
by Jim Croce.

I also mentioned that I am working on a popular request that will introduce the terms double coda and double segno.

Hopefully everybody is ready to take repeats to the next level!

Back Next Week,

Neil

willem

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Oh I sure check in next week and see what the big suprise is and follow the direction signs,, if I guess,,maybe JT ''You've got a friend'' not sure though.......

Nice weekend

Willem

lueders

Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Was that a little ditty about Jack and Diane?

thereshopeyet

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks.

unclewalt

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Ha! Yes, Johnny Cougar is another one where, though I like some of his stuff, there are some songs that I hate so much they color my opinion of the rest of his oeuvre. "Jack and Diane," and especially "Small Town." Even his better tunes are at least slightly puerile, lyrically.

That whole working-class-heartland-hero thing has always bugged me, too. It's so strained and affected. In high school, my smartass friends and I made a film for art class, a mockumentary called "Bruce Cougar Segersteen." (Another, ripping on the era's soulless corporate rock, was called "JourneyStyxWagon.")

When I moved to DC from the Bay Area about 12 years ago, I drove through Indiana on the way (which, being a Chicago native, I already was disliking), and I couldn't believe how often the radio played Johnny Cougar songs -- and almost entirely the same three or four huge hits. It was just about every other song -- between tunes by Foghat and Aerosmith and whatnot. There were no good music stations, and spotty public radio. You would think they'd be sicker of him there than anywhere, but clearly not. It was either that or four AM stations all simultaneously airing Limbaugh. I never would have thought I'd be so happy to cross the Ohio border.

I also don't like his personality, and that wrecks his stuff for me, too, which is probably unfair since I don't judge, say, Lou Reed's music on that basis. I think it's the fakeness and misplaced egotism - Lou's an asshole, but at least there's no pretense. A nice guy couldn't have written those songs. And they're just better songs.

I do like some Cougar tunes. "Paper in Fire" comes to mind, and some others.

TGNeil

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Walt,

Wow, somehow the TP rabbit hole comment struck a nerve and I have to tell you that after watching John play Jack And Diane solo I almost developed an appreciation for Tom. I have never quite gotten the Bruce thing either but that probably has to do with growing up on the West Coast. OK, I am probably too far out on this limb...

Neil

unclewalt

Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:06 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Walt,

Wow, somehow the TP rabbit hole comment struck a nerve and I have to tell you that after watching John play Jack And Diane solo I almost developed an appreciation for Tom. I have never quite gotten the Bruce thing either but that probably has to do with growing up on the West Coast. OK, I am probably too far out on this limb...

Neil
Eh, it's just musical opinion, and nobody should take it personally, and if they do it's on them. We all share a lot of the same likes, but of course we're all also going to disagree on a lot of stuff. As long as the opinions are backed up with actual thoughts and reasoning, and aren't just "I hate this" (and it should go without saying that insulting someone because of their musical tastes should not be tolerated.) I'd frankly love to hear more of your opinions on both likes and dislikes. I kinda wish there was more such discussion on TG. Sadly, I know that people tend to take stuff like that personally, so that tends to shut people down who otherwise might have something interesting to say - even if others disagree.

I actually like Springsteen a lot more than I did back then - he's also gotten a lot better, and widened the scope of his songwriting in a big way. I'm still not a huge fan -- I don't think I own more than a couple of downloads, if that. I also think my post probably overstated my dislike of Cougar. I like a fair amount of his stuff, actually - mainly more obscure tunes. I even recognize "Jack and Diane" as being a well-crafted little ditty in its way. But it (along with so much other "classic rock") was overplayed by corporate radio to the point where I grew to hate it.

Ohh, another one I like: "Rain on the Scarecrow." I don't know about the words (I'd have to remind myself of them), but that's a jumpin' tune. That album has some others I liked, too, I think.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic