Playing the neighbourhood summer bash

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:41 pm

I have not been playing that much recently but last night the neighbourhood held their summer BBQ outside my door and asked me to bring my guitar along. I joined them late and was not really expecting to be able to play much after a stressful and emotionally draining week, I didn't even make it home from work the night before (don't ask!). But they are a friendly and decent bunch with Holland, Germany, Mexico, Argentina, USA, GB and Switzerland all represented. From what I can remember (there was a lot of schnapps being floated around) my set list turned out to be:

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - Beatles
Mrs. Robinson - Simon & Garfunkel
Country Roads - John Denver
Let it Be - Beatles
Lady Madonna - Beatles
Me and Julio - Simon & Garfunkel
Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
Nights in White Satin - Moody Blues
Knocking on Heaven's Door
She was Just 17 - Beatles
When You Wake up - Moody Blues (Thanks to all my TG friends who helped me master this one)
Scarborough Fair - Simon & Garfunkel
Gold Watch Blues - Donovan
If you Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot
Simple Game - Moody blues

There may have been a few more between the schnapps.... :-)

I bust the G string octave tuning down from open G to a half step down from standard to fit my voice! Must have tuned up, not down. But it was a warm evening with about 40 people in good spirits and I was surprisingly able to play ok without notes and remember all the lyrics and chord changes and actually enjoy the whole thing as I could just sit back and play as I chose and folks just enjoyed, joined in or let the music supply the back-drop to a pleasant summer's evening. Kids would come a sit by me and just drift away listening to music but words they did not really understand. All in all, just the way I like it! No video or pics but I thought I'd share it anyways.

It was nice to hear from many different neighbours that they'd heard me playing in the garden last few months and really like to hear me play... and everyone thanked me at the end of the night and had nice things to say so that's a little motivation I can carry with me going forward. :-)

willem

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:46 pm

I could get out one song at a BBQ,,but they did'nt no the lyrics, me also not,,,damn..your a lucky guy Chris,,

Willem

daryl

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:51 pm

What a great set list. Very impressive. I'm envious that you didn't use notes and could remember all the chords and lyrics (especially with you being so old and all ;-) )

Too bad there wasn't a video camera or iphone handy.

Did you get any tips?

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Yeah exactly, at my advanced age! Same as Neil's by the way so careful! ;-) Took my tips in schnapps... I think schnapps is a neuro-transmitter or lubricant in its pure form ;-)

Do you distil your own Vermont Moonshine, Daryl?

And yes, a lucky guy Willem!

daryl wrote:
What a great set list. Very impressive. I'm envious that you didn't use notes and could remember all the chords and lyrics (especially with you being so old and all ;-) )

Too bad there wasn't a video camera or iphone handy.

Did you get any tips?

wrench

Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Good food, neighbors, a summer evening, robust set list, and schnapps.

Congratulations, Chris. That sounds like a great evening and a great ending to an otherwise not-so-great week.

michelew

Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:46 am

It's heart-warming to hear that you're experiencing some really nice times (to balance some of the shitty stuff).

It sounds like the perfect recipe for fun.

Great report.

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:15 am

Thanks Shell and Dan, I'd recommend the summer BBQ, set list & schnapps therapy over most others I can think of!

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:03 am

Nothing worse than busting your G string... Al might like to comment here lol...

Nice list buddy... Surprised you can recall after a 'few Schnapps'....

haoli25

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:57 am

Sounds like a LOT of fun, Chris. Nice set list too. Glad you had fun.

Should we be checking YouTube for outtake videos from the summer bash? :cheer: :)

Bill

familyman4

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks for sharing your story Chris. Sounds like a fun evening! I will admit that this is exactly the kind of joy that the guitar brings out. Even for those neighbors that might not have a clue how to play the guitar, I bet they went home thinking, "I've always wanted to play the guitar. Maybe I should start learning it now". You never know, maybe you have sparked the interest of the next Neil Hogan??? :)

Front (or back) porch picking,,, you've got to love it :cheer:

Thanks again for sharing...
Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic