On the Beat - Episode 200 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up October 4th, 2013

tgjameela

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -4th-2013/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

I feel like I am about half way back into the real world after our IGC, then a trip to visit my daughter in NY,
but things are starting to look and feel familiar. This week we got back to a few new Target releases and a
lot of interesting topics on the Forum. As usual, the News was scattered with random playing and tangential
thoughts as I started thinking about a gig I have next week playing some flamenco music.
We'll see how well that goes...

The new stuff this week included Road by Nick Drake, Annan Water by the Decemberists, and finally James Taylor's
version of You've Got A Friend, or at least how to play it in his style. I hope everybody can get it from the clues.

My favorite release this week was Sandy's Fly On The Wall where she wanted to relearn John Denver's
Poems, Prayers And Promises.I had totally forgotten what a great song that was and I was happy to give her some
hints about figuring it out. It can now be considered another TG Community Project and I look forward to seeing what
folks can come up with.

I also want to thank everybody who contributed to the Housekeeping thread. This is information we have been trying to compile to
make navigation at TG more efficient. That was about it for the News this week, until next-

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

sbutler

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:58 pm

I hear the G on the High E string, thats why its sounds different. Also, you can keep the Hawaiian shirt, but you'll have to wear a huge floppy hat during your gig Monday.
Have a great weekend Neil.
Take a camera with you to your gig.

Scott

thereshopeyet

Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Neil

Thanks for another great week.

Can I hear the difference between the C's
Video Location: 04:02 - 04:33
In all honesty, no. Well I hear the difference, but if I wasn't looking,
I wouldn't know where they were on the fretboard.
The chord position on the fretboard is difficult to identify because
theres less separation to the ear of the bass and treble strings.
When played in the open position it's easier to hear the root bass note.
Help with this would be great.
:S :blush: :S

When you say your considering putting together a James Taylor Technique lesson,
that sounds interesting. Anything that's going to complement and add to your James Taylor song lessons, which
I suspect it would, when your considering it.
That would be great.
:)

Dermot

Note
Duane Allman: News Video 5:03 / 5:44
DVD - Song of The South
Album - SkyDog - 7 Disc Set - Contains his session work - N/A Now, Only Secondhand.

thereshopeyet

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:23 pm

So Can anyone else identify the C's by ear ?

Or is it just me having problems.... :blush:

:S :S

willem

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:56 pm

I understand it goes a bout the chord,the C-chord,,,the diffrents in identify ,,,the bar C has more fretted notes so maybe its not so clear..

W.

thereshopeyet

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:12 pm

I think I've got it ! :S ... well ....sort of.... not quite the full picture!!

It's easier to hear the difference between the first two chords because the open C uses the open G String ( chord 5th)
which has a lower pitch, audibly separating them.

While in the second chord comparison both chords include the G (Chord 5th) on the High E string and ring in unison making them sound very similar.

But .... I'm not sure how I use that to identify chord location etc on the fretboard..... if I had my eyes closed.... and relied only on my ears.

:blush:

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Willem Wrote:
I understand it goes a bout the chord,the C-chord,,,the diffrents in identify ,,,the bar C has more fretted notes so maybe its not so clear..
Oh, the postman very sad, no mention of last weeks news ...... Can you hear the C's !!!

:(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic