On the Beat - Episode 209 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up October 18th, 2013

tgjameela

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 18th-2013/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Somehow the TG News keeps getting longer and more scattered. This week started with some
random playing before talking about some of the weekly happenings. These included:

The documentary Searching For Sugar Man, which came to my attention thanks to Steve Rose and
his Listening Post entry on Cold Fact by Sixto Rodriguez; Some of our recent bundled lesson packages-
Mississippi John Hurt, The Avett Brothers, Billy Joel/Elton John, Female Artists, and Advanced Fingerpicking;
a bit on the recent segments with Doug Young; and of course, the new lessons released this week.

I hope everybody has taken the time to listen to both Rodriguez and Fred Neil as songs by both of them came
out this week: Sugar Man by Rodriguez and The Dolphins by Fred Neil. We also had a very cool lesson on Iris
by The Goo Goo Dolls, courtesy of Vanessa. There was another peak at a John Denver tune with Sandy where
we worked on figuring our I Guess He'd Rather Be In Colorado.

As time went on I got into some of my own pieces and how occasionally I would try to write something not too
pyrotechnically challenging. Whodunit got used as an example gone bad but Rosa May kind of fits into that category.

Thanks again to Vanessa for putting up a video of her playing it.

I think I talked a little about Chet Atkins as well.

Till next week...

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

willem

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:47 pm

I would love an exercise on ''when I'm 64'',,,I have your road map... :laugh: B)

I got to move!!! North!!! :woohoo:

W.

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Neil

Thanks for playing some of your own tunes on the news.
Maybe consider Lemon Twist as a lesson sometime :)

I got the Searching For Sugar Man DVD a while after you mentioned it a while back.
Still have to watch it, looks good and Steve Rose's review is interesting.
The lesson you uploaded of Sugar Man is another I'l like to work on sometime.

Dermot

:)

cosmicmechanic

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Neil, you made me realize 'twas a year ago that the Rodriguez concert for which I had bought tickets six months in advance was cancelled.

It was to be in a medium sized bar, standing only setting ... but after appearing on Letterman, he took off into the wild blue yonder.

So he's not playing tiny, lower-priced venues for a while, I guess. Good for him ! :lol: So sorry for me ! :( :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic