>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 84 - Doug Young – Gretchen

tgjameela

Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new Acoustic Snapshot featuring Doug Young playing at The Woodshed in Los Gatos, CA.

Once a month Doug Young hosts a concert at The Woodshed in Los Gatos, California. The format generally includes three players who rotate songs. Today we start a series of pieces recorded in October 2013 starting with Doug’s performance of his song Gretchen.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/acoustics ... hen-intro/

sbutler

Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:22 pm

Doug is so pleasant to listen to. I haven't heard a song of his yet, that I didn't like.

Scott

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:16 pm

I enjoyed listening to Doug playing his tune Gretchen.
His fingering looks so relaxed, and glide about the fretboard.
I so need to learn to relax !
Thanks for sharing.

Dermot

:)

dougyoung

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi gang. Just one quick clarification on this - this tune isn't my composition. It was written by a friend of mine, Chris Wilhelm who lives in Ketchikan, Alaska. I first met Chris at a guitar camp many years ago. He recorded a nice CD where every tune was written for and dedicated to a "strong woman" from Ketchikan. This tune was for his 3 year old daughter, Gretchen. You can sort of sense the playfulness, I think. I liked the tune the minute I heard it. Chris traveled through Europe with Michael Hedges one summer, and I think there's a hint of Michael's influence here. Some years ago, I took one of the cruise ships on the inside passage up thru Alaska, and the ship stopped at Ketchikan. Chris met me at the dock, with a pair of guitars in the back of his pickup, and he taught me how to play Gretchen sitting on a bench by the ocean during our shore visit!

Hydroman52

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:58 am

Now, that's a new thought process. Instead of a girl in every port........ there's a song in every port. Of course, if you are of the mindset that the glass is completely full, there'd always be a girl AND a song!

Hydroman52

Rbinding

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:24 pm

That's a great song and an awesome back story!

Ron

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic