>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 88 - Neil plays James by Pat Metheny

tgjameela

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have another new Acoustic Snapshot featuring our very own Neil Hogan playing James by Pat Metheny.

I had messed around with a solo acoustic arrangement of James a few years ago but somehow it fell by the wayside. Last week I heard it again and figured I better resurrect it before it was too far gone.

It is a very catchy tune, written for James Taylor, and the original can be found on the Offramp album, by The Pat Metheny Group. It is still a work-in-progress, as I need to explore and improvise in the middle section more, but I just wanted to make a rough cut of where it is now.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/acoustics ... t-metheny/

sbutler

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Good Golly, you smoothed it out. That was too cool.

Thanks for the glimpse.

Scott

Lavallee

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:53 pm

Very nice Neil, nice tune with a south american sound . That could be a good challenging lesson. Interesting that you call it rough. I could never play as rough as you :)

Marc

TGNeil

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:07 am

Marc & Scott,

Thanks for the comments. I will go into this a bit on tomorrow's News but what I mean by rough is that it is not yet concert ready. The opening and closing where I play the melody is getting close but the middle section needs to be improvised and I need to explore more ideas that can be incorporated there so it is different every time. My recording of Black Orpheus, from Yesterday's News would give an example of this.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic