On the Beat - Episode 221 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up January 17th, 2014

tgjameela

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 17th-2014/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Well, so much for putting out shorter updates. Today's stretched out for a bit, although the
last 4-5 minutes consisted of a piece I wrote about 10 years ago titled One Step Beyond.
Not sure what inspired playing it today but the fingers just sort of fell into it. Maybe I felt like
if you made it this far you deserved a little entertainment. Some topics that got covered were
British Blues, Neil Young's mystery chord, a clue to a mystery song from last week, and big news
on this year's IGC.

In between various tangential diversions I briefly mentioned the new content: A Fly On The Wall
with Wiley
looking at I'm A Lucky Man by Paul Thorn (along with a long, general good time!), Target
lessons on Neil Young's Dreamin' Man, Let Her Go by Passenger, The Monkees' I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone,
and a long time recommended lesson, The Man's Too Strong by Dire Straits. We also started a new series
of Acoustic Snapshots from Doug Young & Friends, starting with Doug's tune Autumn Roads, and followed
by Stu Frazier playing Leola Kay.

The IGC News for the day was that we have gotten teaching commitments from Dave Nachmanoff,
Doug Young, and our very own Vanessa, with more announcements to come. I also spoke a bit about the
format changes we are working on implementing, mostly from suggestions by last year's campers, and to
stay closely tuned as we will be offering an early bird special pretty soon.

Till next week...

Aloha from sunny California but please send rain!!!

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Neil:

Great wrap-up. Thanks so much for the update on the 2014 IGC. It really sounds like you guys are going to make this one even better. The format, as you are presenting in this preliminary stage, sounds awesome. More time overall, with free time thrown in around some great classes. Having Doug back will be excellent. Also, the addition of Dave Nachmanoff will certainly be popular with those of us who got the chance to see him live. The chance to get some lessons from both you and Vanessa is very exciting as well. I really appreciate the hard work you guys put in on this site, and that you make something like the IGC available to us. B)

BTW, "One Step Beyond" sounds amazing. I would love to hear how you come up with these pieces. Do they just flow during a practice session, or do you sit down and write before playing them? "Hearing" chords or notes is VERY difficult for me, so if I noodle around, I always get lost on where to go with something. I am always impressed by folks who can create something like that. Daryl's little piece comes to mind as well.

Jason

sbutler

Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Hey man, its something you can't ignore. When those fingers want to play, let em! :cheer: \
As usual, thanks for the update. I'll be looking forward to your review of Sandy with Rosa May. And the little "woodshed snap shot" with Stu Frazier was really fun too. Lot of talent going thru that place.

Have a great Weekend Neil.
Scott

thereshopeyet

Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:11 pm

Neil

Thanks for the Weekly News and
another great week at TG.

As for the weather...... :ohmy: 3 Months of blistering sun..... :ohmy:

Link
January Rain - David Gray

Dermot

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:00 pm

Great wrap for the week Neil, I always enjoy it when you go into those extended meanderings, not that One Step Beyond is meandering, its a really nice tune.

And many thanks for The Man's Too Strong this week, I love the personal service :) and I'm really enjoying working on it.
I'd love to be at the camp but its right in the middle of two courses I have to hold! :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic