On the Beat - Episode 225 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up February 21st, 2014

tgjameela

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 21st-2014/

Today's plan was stick to the News, don't wander, don't practice in public, don't talk about others,
don't give hints about the future,... a whole lot of don'ts taking everything off the table, which
could keep the News to a manageable 10 minutes or so. Needless to say, something along the lines
of, "the best laid plans of mice and men...", or whoever, instead I was sidetracked as usual. I don't
think I can even summarize what happened today, you will just have to experience it for yourself.

I did get a moment to address the question of killing bass notes in Here Comes The Sun, and retouch
the clawhammer question, which led to more on Doug Young, the IGC, and a whole bunch of playing,
some of which I tried to carry on until things quieted down in the neighborhood.

In case you missed any of the new stuff, we had new lessons from Taylor Swift, The Everly Brothers,
The Beatles, John Mellencamp, and a Fly On The Wall looking at Sweet Baby James with Sandy. We also
had a new addition from Steve at The Listening Post on Jerry Garcia, particularly some live stuff with
Don't Let Go.

See you next week, unless I get fired...

sbutler

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Wow, your sure in a great mood today. To bad you had to run off to the ball game, you could have stayed and played a little longer.

Ok, you played something that is now driving me crazy. It was a classical number, that you played towards the end of your wrap up. You said we had a lesson on it, and you went back and forth on the fingering. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of that song. I don't know if Hector did it or you, but I remember working on it before my surgery last year, and I had forgotten all about it. WHAT IS THAT SONG. I lived in a camper for several months, and tossed a lot of my sheet music that I didn't have room for, and now I'm wondering if I tossed this one. Oh somebody help me here. :S

Scott

thereshopeyet

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:52 am

Neil

Thanks for the news on this weeks activity.

:laugh: :laugh:

I have much to catchup on due computer issues this week .

:(

Some great playing and tunes too.

The Clawhammer forum posts were great.
I hadn't heard of Clawhammer before and Doug Young's posts are always intriguing.
I enjoyed his Fretboard stuff too.
Incidentally, your guitar solo's reduced chords (triads) on the top strings helped with root notes too. (fretboard note knowledge).

Looking forward to next week.

Dermot

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:26 am

Neil, you toy with us! You were stretched over 5 frets there on that second classical song! That aint natural! :laugh:

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:42 am

The news reminded me about Last Train To Clarksville.... can we please have the GPro file in GPro 5 format please... for those of us using TuxGuitar which cannot handle Gpro 6 or .gpx.
Many thanks!

cosmicmechanic

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Hey Neil, just another day at the office, right ?

This weekly update is fun ... we have come to expect probably some kind of "free association" :)

A welcome retort to the winter doldrums grinding us here up north (no short pants to be seen !)

Pierre

TGNeil

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:10 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
The news reminded me about Last Train To Clarksville.... can we please have the GPro file in GPro 5 format please... for those of us using TuxGuitar which cannot handle Gpro 6 or .gpx.
Many thanks!
Hey Chris,

After looking back at the tab for Last Train I remember I almost didn't even post the gpx file as I can't imaging what anybody could need from that, as short as it is, that they can't get from the pdf. Are you sure you need it and this isn't just a completionist's obsession?...

By the way, I am very familiar with the aforementioned affliction, almost explaining and validating some of my ridiculous collections- does anybody really need 30 Days of Beatles outtakes from January 1969. Even worse, multiple copies spread out over 70-80 CDs!

Neil

P.S. I'll think about it but another good project would be to write out all 30 notes or so by yourself.

Music Junkie

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:22 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Many thanks!
Chris:

Check your inbox. B)

Jason

TGNeil

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
Many thanks!
Chris:

Check your inbox. B)

Jason
INSUBORDINATION!! Jason, check your membership...

Music Junkie

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:33 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
Many thanks!
Chris:

Check your inbox. B)

Jason
INSUBORDINATION!! Jason, check your membership...
As a fellow sufferer of "Completionist's Obsession", I was only being an enabler..... My bad.... I often wonder why my music collection is o massive, and it is because I try to fill in all the missing pieces. Otherwise I just can't sleep at night. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: If my membership is in question, I fully retract my earlier statement. Chris, forget I ever said anything..... :lol: :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic