>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 124 - KPIG Radio Promo

tgjameela

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new episode in the Acoustic Snapshots series.

This video is really from the Hogan Home Movies Archive and was just recently unearthed on an archeological dig in the basement.

KPIG is a worldfamous radio station, descended from the legendary KFAT in Watsonville, near Santa Cruz, and they generally do shows like this on Sundays for upcoming concerts.

The concert in question was one of a pair I did with Laurence Juber and maybe some more digging will find footage of one of those. This has all the random edits of home movies but there may be some interesting scenes and at least a couple songs.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/acoustics ... dio-promo/

sbutler

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:40 pm

Well that was a neat little gem! So I have a question that I've never asked before. Neil, have you ever played standing up, with a strap?

Scot

TGNeil

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:17 pm

sbutler wrote:
Well that was a neat little gem! So I have a question that I've never asked before. Neil, have you ever played standing up, with a strap?

Scot
Only leading sing-along type things- at our annual town Christmas Tree Lighting, caroling through the neighborhood with a bunch of kids. I really can't do fingerpicking instrumentals without the stability of sitting. Strumming rhythm parts, or even playing lead can be done standing, but controlled picking, no way.

Neil

sbutler

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks Neil, I hadn't looked at it that way. Although, when I had my shoulder surgery last year, I tried a strap, It solved on problem, but as you say, I didn't have the control I had gotten used to.

Scott

unclewalt

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:46 pm

TGNeil

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:30 pm

unclewalt wrote:
In the early Web days, I listened to KPIG on a 56k modem. It was the first Internet radio station I'd ever heard.

What year was this?
Hi Walt,

They did say they were going out over the web that day, Sunday May 6, 2001. Not the real early days but close.

Neil

unclewalt

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:40 pm

jayswett

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:21 pm

What is the Joplin and Sweeney Guitar Shop? I heard a reference to that in the video.

TGNeil

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:41 pm

jayswett wrote:
What is the Joplin and Sweeney Guitar Shop? I heard a reference to that in the video.
Hi Jay,

Joplin & Sweeney Music was the store I ran for a little over 30 years with a partner, Greg Burger. I pretty much retired it a couple years ago and moved all teaching and associated operations to TG Central, in the back yard. Joplin & Sweeney was really just a teaching studio for a bunch of teachers (at one time but dwindled down to just a couple by the end) and not really a retail store to speak of. I also used it as a record label that released my albums, along with a few others, Hector Garcia and Jim Witzel. There is still an old website at joplinandsweeney.com but I think the only interesting info there my be the blog about my daughter's heart surgery.

We also had a boutique guitar shop for a while, The Los Gatos Guitar Gallery, and were affiliated with Keith Holland's Guitar Hospital. At one point all 3 businesses were under the same roof in Los Gatos.

Neil

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:58 pm

That's a great video snapshot Neil

Thanks for sharing it here.

Dermot

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic