On the Beat - Episode 229 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up March 14th, 2014

tgjameela

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 14th-2014/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Today I spent most of the News talking about things that started on the Forum, as well as important concepts
addressed in a couple of this week's lessons. I think the most important was learning to recognize common chord
progressions.

This led to reviewing the 50s progression (which we heard a form of in this week's All I Have To Do Is Dream and
This Boy lessons), the PachelPunk Progression (as heard in Let It Be and hundreds of others), and even a two-chord
sequence as heard in Room To Move and You Really Got Me.

Some of the other stuff covered included more of John Renbourn's 1998 workshop, tuning expert Randy Black, a home
movie project
that uncovered a radio interview from 2001, and a bit about House Concerts. I think hosting a House
Concert is something everyone should consider. It is a great way to get high-quality entertainment in your very own
home. If you are lucky you might even get everybody else to pitch in and you might get to attend for free, give or take a
few weeks of possible stressing out!

I hope to get more of Lynn's videos of Dave Nachmanoff up soon so we can all enjoy some of his concert at her house last week.

I also talked a little about our Request A Lesson page, with good and bad news about some top requests. This also led to a bit
of a mystery that may be too obscure but there were a couple big clues. Might be too easy for some...

Till next week,

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

willem

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:30 pm

:) ;) B)

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:23 am

Neil

I really enjoyed the weekly news this week.

I should definately make a point of playing a song in all the primary keys.
A C D E and G.

Can you or anyone suggest a couple of good songs that translate well to all keys.
It's not that I'm being lazy but I need a fresh perspective on the songs I'm learning.
A few suggestions will get me focused.

Thanks

Dermot

I've watched the news over and over..... sorry, I'm missing what you played :S :blush: :S

I looked to find out about the Chariots of Fire song you played but couldn't hear a similarity.
I did find this video though ! He was found not guilty because the chord progression is so common chances are someone would come up with
something similar unware.

:ohmy:

willem

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:55 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
[quote]Neil

I really enjoyed the weekly news this week.

I should definately make a point of playing a song in all the primary keys.
A C D E and G.

Can you or anyone suggest a couple of good songs that translate well to all keys.
It's not that I'm being lazy but I need a fresh perspective on the songs I'm learning.
A few suggestions will get me focused.

Thanks

Dermot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe ''Brown eyed Girl''

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:29 pm

Willem

Brown Eyed Girl ... I've played it before but never tried it in other keys.

I'll give that at shot.

Thanks

Dermot

:)

willem

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:45 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Willem

Brown Eyed Girl ... I've played it before but never tried it in other keys.

I'll give that at shot.

Thanks

Dermot

The vid is in F..is that an unfriendly guitar key?

Willem

jayswett

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:36 am

Blowin' in the wind is another song that should be reasonably easy to transpose, I would think. Also, have a look at neil's lesson for you can't always get what you want. He had some key changes in that lesson, if memory serves, but not in first position. I can't remember for sure.

thereshopeyet

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Willem Wrote:
The vid is in F...... is that an unfriendly guitar key?
F ..... for Fun ! :ohmy:

Dermot

Chords

1. Major - 1 3 5

2. Major 7 - 1 3 5 7

3. Minor - 1 3b 5

4. Minor 7 - 1 3b 5 7b

5. Dominant 7 - 1 3 5 7b

6. Diminished - 1 3b 5b

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Willem Wrote:
The vid is in F...... is that an unfriendly guitar key?
I put together this Pdf for Brown Eyed Girl in Keys of C D E G A and F for friendly key and F for Fun !

Dermot

Please don't include this attachment in any quotes within the forum to prevent cluttering topic with duplication Also, it may contain errors, if so please let me know, thanks.
http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... AND_F_.zip

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic