On the Beat - Episode 231 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up March 28th, 2014

tgjameela

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 28th-2014/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

This week started with a little blues improv and had a few other random things played throughout. I recall a bit of
Linus & Lucy and a pretty rusty original called Imagine That. Maybe more on those in the future but they came up
related to questions about practice routines and I want to thank everybody who has weighed in on that with their
experiences.

I also quickly ran through my Top Five list, including a snippet of the song that started the whole mess last week.

In case you missed our recent releases, we had All Fall Down by Shawn Colvin, The Everly Brothers' Let It Be Me,
I'm Only Sleeping by The Beatles, a FOTW with Sandy working on I Can't Tell You Why by The Eagles, and a short
addition to The Guide To Reading Music that went into the key of G Major. We also had the last couple songs that
Dave Nachmanoff played at the house concert at Lynn's, Grateful and Without A Compass Or A Map.

Till next week,

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

thereshopeyet

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:55 pm

Neil

Thanks for the weekly news and songs played.

Thanks for the next installment of Guide To Reading Music -The Key of G

I looked at some classical guitars recently and they have an entirely different feel to them than steel string.
I felt I was going to snap the strings as they don't need the same finger strength.
I suppose being nylon that makes sense.

Dermot

Lavallee

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi Neil, glad to see stairway is part of your top 5, even Unclewalt is a fan too. Thanks for bringing back Linus and Lucy, I was 3/4 there and went to something else, I need to get back to it (they should never be forgotten, as you said in the practice segment).

As usual I enjoyed the weekly overview

Marfc

fjeanmur

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:00 am

Hey Neil,

It's funny that you should mention Al Stewart. We have tickets to see him I think the following day at a place that I believe is called the "City Winery" in NYC. I had thought about putting a shout out to see if anyone from TG would be there, but I thought "nah, how likely is that?" My daughter has never seen Al and so she's really excited. In fact, my husband actually contemplated learning about 2-3 guitar chords so as to be able to attend the guitar camp in September just to get another shot at meeting Al Stewart. As the story goes, while in college, my husband worked as an usher at a concert hall in Philly. The night of the Al Stewart concert, he decided to go home to his dorm right after because he was tired only to find out the next day that after the concert Al Stewart invited the whole theater crew out to a local bar for an after show party. My husband has been kicking himself ever since.

So, if anyone is going to be at the concert in NYC, I'd love to have a chance to meet you.

Jean

TGNeil

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:15 am

Hi Jean,

Strangely enough, my original plan was to catch the City Winery show as we will be in NY for a softball game that day. It was going to be a scramble though to get there as we will probably be at the field until about 6:00, with that being the last night to spend with our daughter. I then found out about the Phoenixville show after talking with Lynn after her house concert and realized we would be in Philadelphia for games that Saturday and were planning on spending the night there anyway.

I hope some other TGers find your message and catch the City Winery show. Al is spectacular on stage.

Neil

tvarga

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:32 am

What was the song you played at around 10 minutes in right after re-tuning your guitar?
A beautiful song I'd love to learn.

TGNeil

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:40 pm

tvarga wrote:
What was the song you played at around 10 minutes in right after re-tuning your guitar?
Hey Tom,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the compliment. I think you are referring to Cobble Creek, Dropped D and I have been thinking about doing a lesson on it, and a bunch more originals anyway. I am starting to think we have about enough popular tunes.

Neil

jimcjimc

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:56 am

Neil,

in the practice section, you say: Just pick up the guitar every day for a few miuntes, play some nice major 7 chords.

I do like the sounds of major seventh chords, Amaj7 is a nice one.

I was wondering why aren't these chords used more in songs?

sbutler

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 am

TGNeil wrote:
tvarga wrote:
Hey Tom,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the compliment. I think you are referring to Cobble Creek, Dropped D and I have been thinking about doing a lesson on it, and a bunch more originals anyway. I am starting to think we have about enough popular tunes.

Neil
Neil, I'm finally back home, and your weekly update was the first thing I opened when I got the computer fired up. And it was one of the best yet. Lots of helpful hints, along with your great playing. I've been thinking about requesting Cobble Creek as a lesson, but then I wondered, if like other songs I've wanted, if I were biting off more than I could chew with it. So IF you were to turn it into a lesson, what do you think you'd rate the difficulty level at? You use that dastardly left hand ring finger for a lot of your stuff, and mine doesn't work so well, so It limits me to what I can play.
Oh, by the way, I got something for you, in a part of Fes Morocco that was in a neighborhood that is at least 1200 years old. So start guessing, and I'll get it in the mail. :laugh: Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic