On the Beat - Episode 236 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up May 2nd, 2014

willem

Sat May 03, 2014 5:28 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Tom and Willem

Sorry..... Just had another look.....you are talking about the Target Lesson in the Cat Stevens section. :S

It would be great if Neil put together a lesson on the fingerpicking version as played in the
lesson preview and the news.

I've been working on the strumming version for a while but still need to get my chord changes smoother.

I really like this song and love this lesson.

Dermot
Right, Cat Stevens section..

willem

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 03, 2014 5:53 am

Hi Neil, on behalf of the members who have been with you since your daughter started college in Hawaii, I hereby grant you OFFICIAL leave of absence to go have a blast out there in the middle of the Pacific and celebrate her graduation. We'll all be just fine here looking after ourselves for a while. :laugh:
The content you have created for the site has been above and beyond the call of duty week after week, year after year so I hope you can switch off from TG for a while and not worry about us.... we have so much we could do here, so many lessons to work on. Maybe folks will post some of their work while you are gone or post some busking while the stage is empty.

Wishing you a well deserved break and celebrations!

Chris

tombo1230

Sat May 03, 2014 7:29 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Tom and Willem

Sorry..... Just had another look.....you are talking about the Target Lesson in the Cat Stevens section. :S

It would be great if Neil put together a lesson on the fingerpicking version as played in the
lesson preview and the news.

I've been working on the strumming version for a while but still need to get my chord changes smoother.

I really like this song and love this lesson.

Dermot
It's another beautiful tune. Well it did start life as a hymn. :) It's worth watching Neils lesson for the full story. I like all that background info' Neil gives us. Cat Stevens is often thought to be the writer because he released the song, but he still owes a debt to Rick Wakeman for his large involvement. Never credited and never paid the ten pounds he was owed for his work (allegedly). Eleanor Farjeon wrote the words in 1931 I believe.

Tom.

sbutler

Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hi Neil, on behalf of the members who have been with you since your daughter started college in Hawaii, I hereby grant you OFFICIAL leave of absence to go have a blast out there in the middle of the Pacific and celebrate her graduation. We'll all be just fine here looking after ourselves for a while. :laugh:
The content you have created for the site has been above and beyond the call of duty week after week, year after year so I hope you can switch off from TG for a while and not worry about us.... we have so much we could do here, so many lessons to work on. Maybe folks will post some of their work while you are gone or post some busking while the stage is empty.

Wishing you a well deserved break and celebrations!

Chris
AHMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!!!!!!

tombo1230

Sat May 03, 2014 9:14 am

Yes Neil,
take a proper break and recharge your batteries. It's family time! :)

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Sat May 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi Tom

Neil's previews are always informative for sure.
I first thought I'd missed a fingerpicking version lesson.
I just forgot some of the background comments.

For me, it's Rick Wakeman's piano introduction that makes the Cat Stevens version.
I just love the way Neil has adapted it for acoustic guitar.
I like Cat Stevens singing voice but I know many people don't and it compliments
the musical arrangement.

It would be great if Neil got around to making a lesson on the the fingerpicking version
as played at the beginning of the lesson and recently in the news.

Dermot

:)

tombo1230

Sat May 03, 2014 7:36 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hi Tom

Neil's previews are always informative for sure.
I first thought I'd missed a fingerpicking version lesson.
I just forgot some of the background comments.

For me, it's Rick Wakeman's piano introduction that makes the Cat Stevens version.
I just love the way Neil has adapted it for acoustic guitar.
I like Cat Stevens singing voice but I know many people don't and it compliments
the musical arrangement.

It would be great if Neil got around to making a lesson on the the fingerpicking version
as played at the beginning of the lesson and recently in the news.

Dermot

:)
Totally agree on all points.

Tom N.

dtaylor

Sat May 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Great playing, Neil. I'd pay to watch you practice.

cosmicmechanic

Sat May 03, 2014 10:54 pm

Yeah, I concur with preceding posts ... seems none of us remember any time that Neil played hookey,
and he has always whitewashed the fence every time his aunt Polly asked him to.
So a cool getaway (to a warm climate) can only do good :)

But, probably a dumb question: Can you easily wear shorts and sandals to a graduation in Hawaii ?
If so, then there is hope for humanity.

If not, then ... photos ? :P

Pierre

TGNeil

Sat May 03, 2014 11:50 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Yeah, I concur with preceding posts ... seems none of us remember any time that Neil played hookey,
and he has always whitewashed the fence every time his aunt Polly asked him to.
So a cool getaway (to a warm climate) can only do good :)

But, probably a dumb question: Can you easily wear shorts and sandals to a graduation in Hawaii ?
If so, then there is hope for humanity.

If not, then ... photos ? :P

Pierre
No room in the luggage for long pants, not sure I can even find them!

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic