On the Beat - Episode 236 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up May 2nd, 2014

tgjameela

Fri May 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -2nd-2014/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

This week one of our new lessons was an easy version of Greensleeves. With that in mind today's News started
with a slightly more complicated arrangement that you may be able to link to a classic instrumental which happens
to be part of our TG content. The rest of the News included comments about separating melody notes and bass
notes in fingerpicking songs, IGC video news, and a totally unplanned improv on a song I never considered doing a
lesson on until one of my students asked about it at his lesson this week. Be sure to stick around till the end and let
me know what you think.

The other new lessons this week were Shawn Colvin's Diamond In The Rough and I Saw Her Standing There by The Beatles.
We also had a few parts of Chan's visit to Northern California. We covered a lot of material while he was here and more is
on tap soon.

The other big news, at least as far as the immediate family is concerned, is that we are on the verge of our first college
graduation. I will be spending a couple weeks with family and friends in Hawaii. I will probably be checking in as much as usual
and hope to get some cool reports and special interest videos out, along with the usual new content.

Aloha,

Neil

willem

Fri May 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Neil,last saterday we had a friends meeting and someone played and an other was singin "morning has broken" so I had to check your lesson the next day and found it such a great lesson, also in his formula, just great.
Now you played it like a chord/melody in this news and i think i will find me the sheetmusic for playing it that way,, GPRO is my big friend but for myself I have problems when to bar or not to bar!

Have a good time in Hawaii.

willem

edit: Aloha :laugh:

sbutler

Fri May 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Have a great time on the BIG Island with your family. Don't worry about us, we'll be here when you get back. :(

sbutler

Fri May 02, 2014 5:45 pm

sbutler wrote:
Have a great time on the BIG Island with your family. Don't worry about us, we'll be here when you get back. :(
Message #2 ) You know, we only have one Santana on the lesson list, so "Heckl Yeah", we could use another.

thereshopeyet

Fri May 02, 2014 5:51 pm

Neil

Cool news and amazing playing.

Thanks for commenting on my question :ohmy:
I'll need to rethink :S :blush:

Loved the play out..... :cheer:

Have a great fortnight break.

Loved morning has broken too ...... I didn't realise there was an instrumental lesson for it ?
I'll need to have a look as I've been learning the Cat Stevens Target Lesson

Dermot

:)

willem

Fri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Neil

Cool news and amazing playing.

Thanks for commenting on my question :ohmy:
I'll need to rethink :S :blush:

Loved the play out..... :cheer:

Have a great weekend

Dermot

:)
SYnCOPATION!! :) have a good weekend Dermot.

thereshopeyet

Fri May 02, 2014 6:29 pm

Willem Wrote:
SYnCOPATION!! have a good weekend Dermot.

:blush: Image

tombo1230

Fri May 02, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi Neil,
loved the playout. I think that is a very beautiful tune.

Changing the subject........

'Morning has broken.' In the tune Morning has broken that Willem highlighted this week in the forum, whilst watching the lesson you mentioned things like, 'The Island of Mull' and how the song came from a hymn originally written by Mary M Macdonald from Bunessan, Scottish Gaelic: Bun Easain, who lived from 1789 to 21 May 1872. I spoke to two Gaelic speakers at work and asked how to pronounce the name Bun Easain, as you had asked this question in your lesson. One person said it was pronounced (Boon-i-sin and the other said it was Boon-i-shin.) If I had asked a third person there may have been a third version, who knows? It is definately not said Boon-essan, it would need a grav above the à to sound like Ann) Anyway, the pronunciation depends on your accent and which Island you come from I was informed. Neither Gaelic speaker was from Mull may I add. The difference in pronunciation was minimal and I preferred the second one, as it sounded more Gaelic than the first one. I was also informed that the translation for Bunessan, or Gaelic: Bun Easain, is 'long tailed duck', which is probably a reference to a river opening, with ducks on it.

The person I wanted to speak to is the Director General at work as he is from Mull, but he wasn't around, so maybe I will have an update at some point, but I do believe the second pronunciation is probably the one to go with. :)

Neil just one other thing, your pronunciation of Gaelic is wrong for the Scottish language as you are saying it as (Gay-lic, for Scotland it should be Ga-lic) your pronunciation of Gaelic is the way you would say it correctly for Irish Gaelic. :)

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Sat May 03, 2014 4:30 am

Hi Tom

Can you tell me where the fingerpicking Morning Has Broken lesson your discussing can be found.

Thanks

Dermot

thereshopeyet

Sat May 03, 2014 4:45 am

Tom and Willem

Sorry..... Just had another look.....you are talking about the Target Lesson in the Cat Stevens section. :S

It would be great if Neil put together a lesson on the fingerpicking version as played in the
lesson preview and the news.

I've been working on the strumming version for a while but still need to get my chord changes smoother.

I really like this song and love this lesson.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic