On the Beat - Episode 238 - A Visit With Mark Yamanaka - Part 1

tgjameela

Wed May 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new interview series featuring Mark Yamanaka.

My trip to Hilo in May 2014 was mostly for Rebecca’s graduation from The University Of Hawaii-Hilo. Fortunately it included opportunities to spend time with some local musicians and teachers. Mark Yamanaka is a young Hawaiian player who released his first album, Lei Pua Kenikeni in 2010. It was well received by critics and fans, and went on to win four Na Hoku Hanohano awards, including Album Of The Year and Song Of The Year. He is up for ten with his second release, Lei Maile and our visit was done just two weeks before the 2013 awards were going to be announced.

We started with a traditional Hawaiian song, then talked about his personal history, growing up in Hilo, how he came to be a musician, about the Hawaiian tradition of male falsetto vocalists, the difficulty of singing in the Hawaiian language, and ended with a look at his first album Lei Pua Kenikeni.

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/inte ... ka-part-1/

kelemenj

Fri May 23, 2014 8:16 am

These were a couple of really nice videos. Mark comes across as friendly, humble, and super talented. Traditional Hawaiian music is pretty far off of my personal radar. So thanks for yet again expanding the musical horizons.
You two played nicely together. You would think from watching that you and Mark had been playing together for awhile.
I wouldn't have expected that voice to come from that guy on the first song.
Hope there is a part 3.

John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic