12 String Guitar

clydeortego

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:05 pm

If their is anyone experienced with a 12 String Guitar I could use the help.

I purchased one around a month ago and I am still getting used to it.

Help Please

Thanks

Clyde Ortego

familyman4

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Hello Clyde,

Can you be more specific on what kind of help you need with the 12 string? Tuning / strumming / using a pick / etc...

Really, if you can play a 6 string, you should be good to experiment and have a blast with a 12 string :) You can use the exact same chords and notes as a 6 string.

Bart

Music Junkie

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:42 am

Clyde:

I bought one last year, and I play it almost every day. Bart is right on with his comments. To be honest, I find it easier to play as far as a strummer. Fingerpicking is a completely different story for me on a 12-string. I am not very good at it on a 6 string, so adding 6 more is laughable for me.

What specific questions did you have?

Jason

BigBear

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:52 am

Clyde- there are lots of 12 string guys on this site, me included. I love mine! Like Bart said what are your challenges? We're all here to help you!

Cheers! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:38 pm

I've been playing my 12 string for 25 years now (not that I am anyone's expert) and there are a few things to watch out for. You need more strength in your left hand for holding down those chords, especially barre chords which can be murderous at first! So practice those often. Open tunings are much easier on your hands so check some of those out too. I remove the octave E bass string and play with 11 strings as its so much easier to get a good bass note out that way and less pressure for your hands holding down the chords. Use light gauge strings. Play frequently but with lots of rest in between. Strumming is king on a 12, of course, picking takes more perseverance but works ok after a while. Good luck and have fun!

Chris

clydeortego

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:27 pm

I heard that you can only pick a 12 string and not strum it, is this true?

familyman4

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:07 pm

Clyde,
Nothing could be further from the truth!

Please read the responses that you already have posted to your initial post and you will see what I mean.

clydeortego

Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:00 am

Thanks to all:

I have started strumming my 12 string last night for a couple of easy songs that I have and it does sound pretty good to me.

Later I will try my hand at picking it to see how different it will sound.

I also had a MiSi pickup installed and play it through a small 5 watt amplifier for now until I can afford a better one, (any recommendations)

on a good amplifier.

Again thanks for all of yall's help

Talk to all of you later

Clyde Ortego :woohoo:

BigBear

Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:52 am

Clyde- Clyde you got some bad info on picking and strumming a 12. 12's are better strummers but there are many amazing 12 string musicians who play the 12 fingerstyle; Roger McGuinn, Leo Kottke, Chris Proctor, John Denver and others. Don't be afraid to learn to pick notes on the 12. You just have to be more accurate, the distance between strings is considerably less. But the neck is wider too.

There are many good, small acoustic amps on the market right now. I use a small Roland Cube 20 which is not a true acoustic amp but is so clean I can use it for everything and not blow the windows out. I use a Crate Acoustic 125 amp for bigger stuff.

A good bet is to go online to Guitar Center or Musicians Friend and look at the reviews for small amps. Once you know what you want, if you don't want a new amp, go on Craigslist. I got my Roland almost new for a hundred dollar bill.

Cheers!

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Clyde:

As far as amps go, there are a lot to choose from. I did a bit of research, and I finally decided on the Fishman Loudbox Mini. It is fairly small. but has great acoustic sound. Roland also makes some very nice acoustic amps which have loopers on some models. Nice touch if you want to play some chord progressions and solo over them.

If you have access, you should take your guitar down to some stores and plug in and see what you like the most.

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic