Reviving The Luthier's Corner

TGNeil

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi Gang,

I think I mentioned a little while ago that I ran back into my old buddy Keith Holland and we talked about reviving his column. I shot a little video with him last week that we will get up soon and in the meantime Larry is going back there regularly for some short subjects. Keith was hoping some of the TG Community might have questions they'd like answered. The next visit is tomorrow so anything you can come up with today might get a very quick response.

Any questions or problems???

Neil

dtaylor

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Any views on re-fretting materials? I recently had an electric guitar set up and talked over having it re-fretted, my guy discussed options for materials from traditional to stainless steel, and alloys thereof. Are there options for acoustic guitars? If so, what are the characteristics, benefits etc.
Thanks.
Dean

willem

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:44 pm

Mixing up strings,,I mean using strings out diffrent packages,, say heavy ones on the trebble(or two trebbles) and lights on the other and maybe also a diffrent G string..

In september elixer releases a sort of HD package that has mixed up string..

Maybe something to test the setup on our guitars and adjust it by our self,,

Maybe something a bout cleaning our guitar and what to use (tools and stuff)

Willem

sbutler

Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:57 pm

So, I just had my FOURTH, countem (4) shoulder surgery. This time on my left shoulder. Yep 3 was enough on the right, so pick on the left for a while. Needless to say that although I can't play much, I can play a little. But more importantly, I can do a little upkeep on the two guitars that I do have and play.

So I'm in my little music room, working on my GS Mini, doing the little things that I was taught to do while I have the strings off. Things such as oiling the fretboard, putting a small wrench on the tuning keys, to make sure they still have good contact with the headstock, and off course, change the strings. And I remember how afraid of these things I was when I first started playing. I've been involved in building multi-million dollars buildings, and yet changing my own guitar strings spooked me for some reason.

So I remembered this thread and thought, "Why not have Keith do a segment on very basic, entry level Maintenance" that any beginner could perform while changing their strings. i know it sounds simple enough, but I'm sure there are a lot of people that felt the same as I did in the beginning.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic