>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 134 - Neil Hogan - Wai'uli

tgjameela

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a new episode in the Acoustic Snap Shot series.

In May of 2014 I was in Hilo for my daughter Rebecca’s college graduation. My habit when I am there is to get up early to watch the sunrise.

On Thursday, May 8th I went across the street to Wai’uli Beach Park with my guitar and the opening melody found its way across the strings. I played around with it as the sun rose and pretty much sketched out an 8-measure theme that became the A Section and another that became the B Section.

Running short on time, I went back to grab the camera to record the ideas in case I forgot them as there was a lot to do for the next few hours.

When I got a chance to get back to the guitar I was glad I had gone back for the camera as the themes were slipping away. I played through the song a few more times and got it a little clearer in my head.

The next day I even attempted playing it on the TG News. A couple months later I got back to polishing it up, arranging the parts and adding a somewhat related coda to wrap it up. You can still hear the TG News version for comparison but here is the way it sounded on August 17th.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/acoustics ... an-waiuli/

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:22 pm

Absolutely beautiful Neil, congratulations on this piece!

sbutler

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Thats a great big BRAVO from me Neil. I can see the waves listening to this sun come up.

Thank you.

BobR

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:07 pm

Neil,

That was just so nice to listen to.
I am glad you went back for the camera :)

willem

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:37 am

Keep composing,, maybe its time to tell more a bout theme's.

To my ears(or feeling) is "on the horizon" still the best.

And a wish for a lesson would be "when I'm 64".

Cheers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic