On the Beat - Episode 258 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up September 5th, 2014

tgjameela

Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -5th-2014/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

This week: Puzzles, Solutions, MIA Reports, Harmony, and General Confusion.

Today’s News started with clues about the Whodunit? question, but the main thread was along the lines of reconnecting
with old students. The new stuff this week included Roger Waters’ If, from Pink Floyd’s Atom Heart Mother album, the
latest from Ed Sheeran, I’m A Mess, a Fly On The Wall talking (and almost singing) harmony with Sandy, and a the B Section
to Wai’uli.

This also sparked a request from an old returning student to include more original pieces as lessons. Curiously, I had two
people come in this week both working on Horizons, by Steve Hacket. Maybe more on that later.

I also talked about IGC a bit. As we get closer there are a lot of exciting things happening but more and more details to attend
to. I was thrilled to hear from John Keleman, who expressed that last year’s camp was the highlight of his year. A bit of an
update on John is included in today’s update as well.

Hopefully the next few weeks will continue without major interruption but if your programming seems a little different please
bear with us.

Till then…

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

sbutler

Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Well your sure making me wish I could come back this year. Alas, the 4th and hopefully LAST shoulder surgery just happened, and so the playin aint' happenin so much.

But I'm sure ya'll will find a way to have fun without me. :(

Thanks for the weekly news Neil.
Scott

BobR

Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:48 pm

I always look forward to the weekly news, but this one is especially cool since I'll be seeing everyone at camp real soon. :woohoo: :woohoo: I noticed this week you have the signed banner hanging up. I hope you'll be bringng it to camp this year.

When I last saw it in person I was signing it in Binghamton NY as part of the Candian New Englanders :) :) That was three years ago. Where does the time go?

See you soon !!!!!!

Bob Image

unclewalt

Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:41 pm

TGNeil

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:22 pm

unclewalt wrote:
"Sound of Silence" harmony -- octave?
Good guess but an octave would not usually be considered harmony.

Neil

unclewalt

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:44 pm

TGNeil

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:47 pm

unclewalt wrote:
Hmmm. Is it a fifth? I want to go look it up, but I'm hoping I can figure it out. But I'll take hints! This stuff all remains mysterious to me, no matter how much I try to dig into it. But I enjoy the digging.

Also, it seems like Art has the "main" part, while Paul is doing the "harmony" part (if that makes sense), which is actually lower (where harmonies are usually higher by a third, I believe). Am I on the right track there?
Right track!

thereshopeyet

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:27 am

Neil

I've listened to Sound of Silence and am no further forward, not even sure I know how to reason this out.
I suppose this is where the importance ear training comes in being able to hear and identify interval sounds.

Dermot

:ohmy:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic