Getting Paid to Play

buddy

Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi All, Over the past two years I have been out playing more and more paid gigs sometimes two a week. I thought it would be fun to post some of my thoughts on playing for money and to hear some of your experiences as well. I never imagined I would be playing for money but it just developed naturally as I was approached at some open mic events by a few venue owners and promoters. In hind site, it has been blast and really motivated me to play more and I have met some really fantastic people in the process.

The first thing I came to understand is that musicians will be very friendly and cordial until money comes into the picture and then they get competitive and territorial. Second, not all venue owners have the same view about music. For some, they treat the musicians poorly while others really appreciate all the effort and work that goes into putting a two or three hour set together. Third, keep it simple as the smaller your group the less headaches and the more enjoyable the performance is. I have settled down to just me and a percussionist on a cajon. Fourth, you have to really engage the audience in a genuine way no matter how good your music is. If you don't engage them then you will lose them. Fifth, don't treat it like a concert as for most of the audience you are just background music that they don't want to have to compete with. Sixth, it really pays to have a top quality sound system and take the time to really dial it in, this makes a huge difference in the quality of the performance. Seven, stick to your guns on the fee or the venue will take advantage of you. Eight, Keep it fun or you will burn out doing one or two gigs a week. Work hard but don't treat it like a job and take the time to enjoy the moment and the feel of the music while you are performing.

I would love to hear others peoples experiences and thoughts on this as well,

Bud

Lavallee

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi Buddy,

I am not involved nor will I never be paid to perform (more if I do not :) ) However I can see that you have the talent, voice and guitar playing to be a good entertainer.

Glad it is working out for you, you sure did put the efforts

Marc

wiley

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Buddy, glad to hear your doing well

"Background Noise" is pretty common to those I know who do the 'restaurant/bar/brewery' tour. To most venue's management that's what it is, and to others it's an 'attraction' sort of thing. Depends on the venue - like you said. There's research out there that goes as far as to what type of music sells more whatever in certain places, a certain 'ambiance' type of thing. Classical music sells more red wine in a certain type of restaurant, don't bring that shit to no "Bloody Bucket" as we used to call 'em.

The wife and I frequent a couple of local acts we enjoy, Van Darien is one who we did a House Concert and ConcertWindow with a few weeks ago and has become a friend, Van (Vaneesa) is not just an 'act' - she's a singer second, songwriter first. Decent on the guitar, yet her boyfriend she calls 'My Guitar Player with Benefits' who on occasion plays in duo with her. Steve is one hell of a talent. Van knows enough to just put the right thing on the fretboard at the right time. Then again, she has no real aspiration to be a great guitarist. Her reaction to doing the House Concert was one of relief, she could look out at the crowd and see folks listening - actually listening to HER music. It was, for all of us, pretty special. Van stays booked, three to five gigs a week, sometimes two a day if things happen right. It's no 'hobby' to her, it's her livelihood. Tough, tough road. She's getting some airplay and just finished off a 'radio station' tour.

To relate what Dave and I discussed;

Dave had some of the best advice I've ever heard about this. He said it's so easy to get caught up in that 'loop' - and once your there, to ever break out. It becomes where and how you make your living, getting away from it could, in all likely hood, cost you your weekly (or so) paycheck. Every great once in a while, with lots and lots of hard work and determination one breaks through, you stand a better chance at 5' 6" and `110lbs playing in the NFL but - that's the dream.

As for equipment, I know a few venues who have great stuff, even a sound guy on staff to run it. I know a few acts who have a nice guitar, and not so nice. 'Stuff' gets expensive - and on the road, gets mistreated, stolen, hell I even watched a fool one time (drunk as he was) jump up on stage and go to sit down on the drummer's throne while the band was on break! Happens more than one would ever believe, don't sit your guitar case down near a door as you load your gear either!

As for quality - your dead on, if the musician can afford it and wants to chance dragging that expensive stuff out to some local dive. Nothing like watching a vintage Martin D28 get a beer bottle thrown in it.

Quick microphone story; I did 'loan' Van an e935 mic - she was using the old reliable 'doubles as a hammer' SM58. The smile on her face as she realized she could talk to an audience was well worth the cost, thing was sitting on a shelf collecting dust anyways. And it's made a huge difference in her confidence. She knows she sounds loads better. So yea, dead on. Top of the line equipment is important, most 'acts' can't afford it though.

So, there's a difference, I believe, in what you are doing, and I truly wish you all the best with it, and what some of these folks like Van, Bobby Duncan, Liz Longley, even Paul Thorn are doing. They DEPEND on the gig - no gig - no house payment, car note, diapers, food on the table, etc.

Best of luck out there Buddy.

It breaks my heart to see some of those out there that have had everything handed to them and how they behave, and how those with true talent and love for music are so commonly overlooked.

*as for the friendly/turned ugly stuff - it's pretty much that way in any business. I wouldn't take it too personal.

jcrocket

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:49 pm

Buddy, lots of what you said rings true in my experience. Your comment regarding musicians being friendly until there’s money on the line was particularly interesting. Only once have I encountered anything like that - it was before our trio’s second-ever gig, when someone at the venue screwed up and booked two bands for the same night. The bar owner opted to go with us, and the leader of the other act (a duo consisting of, coincidentally, a singer/guitarist and a cajon player) was understandably unhappy, saying “I do this for a living, not just some $%#$ hobby”. After our first set he came up and smoothed things over with us and was complimentary, but that original comment has always stayed with me.

Somewhat echoing what Wiley said, the fact of the matter is that, unless I decide to change careers, music and gigging will always be a hobby rather than a vocation for me. Regardless of my passion for it, the huge part of my life it has become, and whatever level of proficiency I may attain - as long as something else is paying the mortgage, there will always be a separation between me and those who have chosen this most difficult of full-time careers. Add to that the dynamic of a shrinking pie - fewer and fewer venues hosting live music - and it’s not surprising that there can be resentment among long-time, full-time pros. I can’t control that, but we as a band CAN control the level of professionalism we display during our gigs, and in our dealing with venues and audiences, so that’s what I choose to focus on.

Good point about not treating it like a concert - that pertains to volume as well as song selection. More than one venue owner has told us that they appreciate that their customers can carry on conversations during our sets. And, as much as I’d love to play the obscure, offbeat songs that I personally like so much, I know that something with an infectious beat, a familiar chorus and a simple chord pattern stands a much better chance of eliciting a positive reaction, at least in the types of places we usually play.

Buddy, thanks for sharing your observations with us, and happy gigging!

Jeff

rapsidy

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:46 am

Hey Buddy

No experiences here, just wanted to wish you well and its great to hear that you are now doing this as i remember watching many of your post on here, its nice to see the journey.

Brad

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic