Who needs more tension?

michelew

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:16 pm

Whose of you who have read my "unloved treasures" thread will know I have adopted a Yamaha F340 (for now at least). I'm not in love with the sound yet, but I'm wondering whether changing the strings would help.

I have Fender 20/80 phosphor/bronze (I think) 0.012-0.052 on it. It sounds a bit tinny and the tension is too light and they rattle around too much when I put any forces on them. It appears (according to the spec.s) that the scale length is 25.0 in. rather than the 25.5 in. scale length on my Larrivee (though visually it looks less than that). I haven't measured it.

So I'm wondering whether increasing the string tension might make a bit of a difference to the sound and how the string respond. I'll check out strings. I'll thinking of moving up a gauge, to 0.013s. Mediums. (I haven't checked the curvature if the neck so... Maybe something is happening here too).

Do any of you have shorter scale guitars? How do you compensate for the reduced string tension? Is there a trick I should know?

Thanks!

M

dougyoung

Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:26 pm

The three main things that affect tension are scale length, string gauge (and to some extent string composition - some strings are higher tension than others at the same guage), and pitch. I have some longer scale guitars, which increase tension on purpose. If I tune a guitar down (like for DADGAD), I use heavier strings on those strings that I lower to compensate. So you can play around with it, between pitch and string gauges. Or just enjoy the lighter tension.

michelew

Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks for the response Doug. It actually makes me wonder whether I should keep this guitar and have it permanently in an alternate tuning like DADGAD. That would be cool.

Well I picked up some inexpensive medium gauge strings - Gibson 0.013-0.056. That's all the store had for acoustic mediums believe it or not; the store is a shadow of its former self.

So I'll be experimenting this evening. I haven't been enjoying the lower tension. We'll see about the new ones.

Thanks again.

M

dougyoung

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:24 pm

The common trick with DADGAD is to use mediums for the 1st, 2nd, and 6th strings, and lights for the others. That gives the lowered the strings the same tension as you'd have in standard with a light set. Almost all the string manufacturers now makes sets like this. GHS's True Mediums, Pearse New Mediums, D'Addario EJ24 DAGDAD Strings, and the new kid on the block Elixer "HD" strings. I just use these strings for everything, even standard tuning. The higher tension and heavier treble strings give the guitar a fatter, bigger sound, without being quite as hard to play as full mediums.

michelew

Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:40 am

Thanks for the suggestion Doug. Great idea. In fact I'm going to try that first.

Thanks

M

michelew

Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:18 am

Well I've changed the 1st, 2nd and 6th strings to mediums. The 6th was a battle. The pin kept popping out which has never happened to me before. It's sitting a little proud now but seems to be settled. ...

I've tuned it to Open G and it sounds great. The trebles pop and are beautifully clear and the bass has guts, I could be imagining things but the 6th string sustain... Well it keeps going. It's really nice. I suspect the 6th string is sitting a little too high on the nut. But that's not something I can fix without the right tools and obviously if I did change it then changing back to lights would be a problem.

Next ... Well I think I'll need to study up on truss rods and neck relief; how to tell if it's right and making adjustments. It looks Ok when I capo the strings at the 1st and 12th frets. But... I'll read up.

The saddle looks like it needs to come down. :) well I did it successfully on the old Yamaha nylon I had ages ago. Am I game here? I'm thinking yep! If I stuff it up they're replaceable right? :)

Doug thanks for the suggestion. I'm amazed at the difference.

I only know two Open G songs. :) so I'm off to search the library for more and learn all about DADGAD too. Cool a new adventure. :)

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic