On the Beat - Episode 262 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up October 17th, 2014

tgjameela

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 17th-2014/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

After all these years I'm sure everybody knows I am prone to tangential detours at any moment.
Occasionally these lead to breakdowns that might be signs of OCD tendencies. I am never too far
from my own personal Ragtime Revival and last week's events became a dangerous trigger.

Just a warning that if you don't hear from me for a few weeks have faith that I am working on faithful
arrangements of Scott Joplin's Classic Rags. Some of these will have a starting level of 11.

Today's News turned into another 'Show and Tell' episode with magazine and vinyl visual aids, along with
a bit of confused playing just to be consistent. I remember talking about Guitar Pro and Classical Gas a bit,
along with the renewed pleasures of listening to records on a 1970s vintage stereo system, sitting there with
LP in hand studying the liner notes. More distractions that could seriously interfere with day to day operations
and releases at TG.

Before it falls completely off my radar I should at least mention the new stuff we did get to this week: Vanessa's
cool lesson on Don't Answer Me by Alan Parsons; Daydream by The Lovin' Spoonful; Ear Training Exercises in the
keys of E and A
; Fly On The Wall Guitar Geography with Sandy. I don't think you can hear the same stuff about any
theory issues too many times or too many different ways. I hope you all feel the same.

In any case, I hope to be back with something, anything next week, but if not, trust that I am working on some
very cool stuff.

mweston

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:09 pm

Great timing on the ragtime obsession. After getting started on Ring-A-Round-A-Rosy Rag, I began trying to find more ragtime tunes to listen to. And just two days ago I received the Classic Rags of Scott Joplin book of arrangements by Stefan Grossman, the CD The Entertainer with Scott Joplin tunes arranged for guitar, and the CD Famous Ragtime Guitar Solos. So I'm looking forward to the lessons.

But a difficulty level of 11? Ouch! How does that compare to Classical Gas or The Clap?

Marc W

TGNeil

Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:18 am

mweston wrote:
Great timing on the ragtime obsession. After getting started on Ring-A-Round-A-Rosy Rag, I began trying to find more ragtime tunes to listen to. And just two days ago I received the Classic Rags of Scott Joplin book of arrangements by Stefan Grossman, the CD The Entertainer with Scott Joplin tunes arranged for guitar, and the CD Famous Ragtime Guitar Solos. So I'm looking forward to the lessons.

But a difficulty level of 11? Ouch! How does that compare to Classical Gas or The Clap?

Marc W
Hi Marc,

Just kidding about the 11s, the few that go there we are not likely to talk about. I have some 8s and 9s floating around.

Neil

unclewalt

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:15 pm

auntlynnie

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:43 pm

I'm with Marc and Unclewalt - I'll be very happy to see some ragtime lessons.

Back in the early seventies I think my teacher was part of that Ragtime revival. I learned a song called Gaslight Rag and I'm still playing it today. :). I would love to learn more.

Lynn

fjeanmur

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:37 pm

auntlynnie wrote:
I'm with Marc and Unclewalt - I'll be very happy to see some ragtime lessons.

Back in the early seventies I think my teacher was part of that Ragtime revival. I learned a song called Gaslight Rag and I'm still playing it today. :). I would love to learn more.

Lynn
I'm with the others on this one. I think some ragtime lessons could be fun.

Jean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic