On the Beat - Episode 263 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up October 24th, 2014

tgjameela

Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:26 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 24th-2014/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Ragtime was the flavor of choice around TG Central this week, unfortunately almost to the detriment of
getting any useful work done. Continuing to become re-obsessed with the style that dominated my life in
the mid 1970s, I spent most of the weekend listening to (and transferring to digital format) piano players
from the turn of the last century, along with guitar players who helped with the post-Sting revival, David
Laibman, Eric Schoenberg, Leo Wijnkamp, and Ton Van Bergeyk to name a few. This inspired me to get
started writing a few exercises for students to get some Ragtime chops down but the rest of that story is
in the News.

I think I ran through the new releases for the week- Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran, Itchycoo Park by The
Small Faces
, Sandy’s continuing adventures with Guitar Geography, and the beginning of Phase II of the Ear
Training Course
where we start into chord progressions and harmony.

I also broke out about a dozen records that I would recommend to anybody getting interested in Ragtime,
starting with some of the Ragtime Blues guys like Blind Blake, Gary Davis, Blind Boy Fuller and Big Bill Broonzy,
then adding in some of the previously mentioned folks who were more in the Classic Ragtime mold. This means
playing (or at least trying to play) piano arrangements as accurately as possible. Everybody knows Ragtime is
not an easy piano style but not everybody can appreciate the order of magnitude difference that transcribing it
to guitar requires.

In any case, there was a lot of tripping and stumbling through works in progress today so I now have a good idea
of what I need to be working on in the immediate future. We may have a continuing shortage of new lessons as a
result of this re-energized passion or obsession!

Neil

P.S. Here are a few links to some great albums available at Amazon-

Blind Blake

Rev. Gary Davis

Blind Willie McTell

Ton Van Bergeyk

Various Artists – Contemporary Ragtime Guitar

David Laibman

sbutler

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:05 pm

Pumpkin Pie eh? I was thinkin "I got a new Hawaiian shirt" Rag.

Have a great weekend. GO ROYALS!

wrench

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Is that a different guitar, Neil?

TGNeil

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:40 pm

wrench wrote:
Interesting, why do you ask?
I was going for different lighting as per Chris, trying to look 10 years younger. Guitar too!

wrench

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:56 pm

TGNeil wrote:
wrench wrote:
I was going for different lighting as per Chris, trying to look 10 years younger. Guitar too!
The dark bands of wood in the top, the abalone rosette, and the headstock trim are features I never noticed in previous videos. I would say the video quality is definitely a step up.

TGNeil

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:19 pm

I may have forgotten to mention that another delay in this week's lessons was caused by a malfunction of camera #1 and I am using #2, which I usually only use for 2nd cam shots. This one does capture more light but I don't think the audio is as good. Any thoughts on that?

I did pick up cam #1 today but will experiment more with #2 going forward.

There may still be more to this than meets the eye though, in the interest of full disclosure.

Neil

wrench

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:32 pm

TGNeil wrote:
I may have forgotten to mention that another delay in this week's lessons was caused by a malfunction of camera #1 and I am using #2, which I usually only use for 2nd cam shots. This one does capture more light but I don't think the audio is as good. Any thoughts on that?

I did pick up cam #1 today but will experiment more with #2 going forward.

There may still be more to this than meets the eye though, in the interest of full disclosure.

Neil
I agree the sound is not as good with cam #2. The bass response is weaker compared to #1.

willem

Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:47 am

Neil I have an app on my tablet that speaks every language..

Its a translation app , after translation you can hit the pronounce button.

I like ragtime bleus such as Big Bill etc.

willem

Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:37 am

BERGEYK,,, mayby try BURGEGG..

sbutler

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:55 am

wrench wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
wrench wrote:
The dark bands of wood in the top, the abalone rosette, and the headstock trim are features I never noticed in previous videos. I would say the video quality is definitely a step up.
i agree, the figure in the top of the guitar is different, the figure in the headstock looks different. The shirt looks great :cheer: what's going on Neil?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic