>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 148 - SNEAK PREVIEW: Angi by Davy Graham

TGNeil

Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi Gang,
As hinted on last week's TG News. There is a lesson on the drawing board for this heavily requested acoustic guitar classic. Most of the delay in creating a lesson on Angi has been trying to get a handle on teaching a song that includes so much improvisation by everybody who has recorded it. I finally started getting a bit of clarity and direction by deciding to start at the beginning, with Davy Graham's original recording. After extensive research into his 2:27 version from the 1961 EP with Alexis Korner, 3/4 A.D., I put together this rendition, covering most (maybe all) of Davy's variations on the three themes, along with a little of my own improvising. Hopefully the lesson will be finished in the near future.

willem

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Great done Neil,, Harry as one too,, I am very curious how you will teach us this tune.

fjeanmur

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Funny, I had just heard this played this evening on my Nick Drake Pandora Station. It was from the Davy Graham album entitled "Folk, Blues and Beyond." It was those string bends that got my attention, sounding similar to "Windy and Warm" in that respect. Now that I have "Windy and Warm" down, would I dare try this one? Not sure. But I'm looking forward to watching the lesson. Great idea, Neil.

Jean

Lavallee

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:18 pm

Houba!, that will be a great lesson. Fantastic rendition Neil, power and subtlety ! . I am looking forward to learn this as my first song with a thumb pick.

That will be fun to work on this

Marc

totsyboy

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:21 pm

Looks pretty much done to me! I really like that rendition.

Since my music theory aptitude is at about a 2nd grade level I hesitate to even offer the observation.... but is it more than coincidental that 2 of the more iconic "must know" guitar instrumentals (this one and Classical Gas) are played around Am?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic