On the Beat - Episode 267 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up November 21st, 2014

tgjameela

Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 21st-2014/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

A bit of good news this week- it seems that a few days of taking it easy has been helping my wrist problem and I should
be able to get back to lesson creation again soon. I certainly appreciate everybody's support and willingness to stick with
us in light of a little less new material this week. A couple things I did get a chance to address in the News were Forum
generated- hints on Sleight Of Hand and what almost was a Review of Marc's Jumpin' Jack Flash. Although that was mostly
a pat on the back and some hints about finding the fills in the chorus.

There was also a bit more playing than I had planned, or probably should have done as things just started popping into my
head as I was talking about various styles. I think there was a little bossa nova in there along with some practicing of the
"impossible" part to Bethena. This week also brought the introduction of a new Fly On The Wall victim, ...maybe willing
participant would be a better description. Ron Blue is known to our IGC folks and shortly after this year's camp he started
coming in regularly for lessons. At our first one he pulled out his phone to record the lesson and I suggested shooting video
for all to see and he was fine with that. I hope after he sees it his feelings won't change and we'll see more of him in the future.

The rest of the week included the final section to our Ragtime piece The Good Life, and Vanessa's look at After The Gold Rush
by Neil Young
. As we head into the holidays I don't yet know what the new content schedule will hold but I hope everybody has a
good time and enjoys a little time off. I hope mine is not extended much more by necessity but if it is, start reviewing your
Christmas tunes. We may have a test next week.

michelew

Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:10 am

Neil,

It's really great to see you playing without too much discomfort. I was really worried for you that you'd done yourself a serious injury. I hope you're back to normal real soon with a little more easing off.

It was nice to hear a little Bossa Nova. I'm a George Benson fan (or used it be if you consider that I hardly listen to him any more) so I'll be checking our your suggestion there too.

Take care. We need you in one piece. :)

Happy Thanks Giving to you and your family.

X

Michele

Lavallee

Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:28 am

Thanks Neil for answering my question on the video. I will look into the fills the way you described it in the News. I missed your comments about your hand being hurt before. Sorry to hear that. Take good care of them, they are important to guide us in the guitar world.

Marc

wrench

Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:16 am

I see Camera 1 is back on the job.

I could go for a little Bossa Nova. There were several pop hits in the 60's that were Bossa Nova, and I remember my guitar teacher from 1965 saying Bossa Nova is what classical guitarists play behind closed doors.

thereshopeyet

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:55 am

Neil

Great weekly news.
Sorry to hear about your wrist.

Thanks for discussing the question on SoH.

Dermot

willem

Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:53 am

Yeah Neil, I practiced Chicago so much that I must rest my wrist now, stretching the muscles and rest helps a lot.

Be well master

Willem

Edit, wish I had the melody notes on a sheet.. ;)

TGNesh

Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:09 am

:laugh: :laugh: Haha, I know, I know! It's true, I've never considered myself a particular Neil Young-fan, yes a CSN&Y-fan. So all of his songs that I do like, yes it's quite a list :laugh:, are with them or with Buffalo Springfield. I barely know his solo-stuff, (that explains that I didn't know 'After The Gold Rush', until I heard it performed by Shawn Colvin, Ann Wilson And Emmylou Harris 2 weeks ago), except maybe Old Man and Heart Of Gold, which I don't particularly like. Oh, I know Harvest Moon too, but again, by someone else (beautiful version by Liz Wrigh, who also makes me like Old Man after all :) ).

Oh well....I suppose Neil Young writes awesome songs, I admit it! :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic