>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 149 - Works In Progress - Heliotrope Bouquet

TGNeil

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi Gang,

Here is something a little different that I hope you will enjoy, a series we might call "Works In Progress." This may be a bit like a Fly On The Wall peek at a practice session that includes some thinking out loud, practice techniques, and even a "Dress Rehearsal" take on a piece that is starting to come together after quite a long time (over 35 years from the first time I looked at the tune). My recent obsession with revisiting the world of Ragtime Guitar has had me playing almost nothing else for the past three or four weeks, much to the chagrin of my family. One of the pieces in heavy rotation is Heliotrope Bouquet, a hauntingly beautiful collaboration between Louis Chauvin and Scott Joplin. There are many arrangements of this out there and most of them modify the original as many passages do not translate easily to the guitar. I have tried to stick as faithfully as possible to the picture painted by the original, creating some very difficult sections. I thought I would fire up the camera this morning as I was practicing and do a little Work In Progress video with some thoughts and comments on practicing challenging pieces. Much of this should be applicable to improving anything at any level and I hope to come back in in a few weeks with a more polished version. In the interest of full disclosure, most members of the household have been caught humming parts of this memorable melody.

Neil

sbutler

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:19 pm

Well at least, now we know where you've been hiding :)

Don't wear that picking hand out man, we are going to need that later. All of us.

Scott

willem

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Yes Neil breath,, they don't hum here when I play over an over a section, but maybe I find a nice pickin melody that stays like a earwurm,, :laugh:

Slow and breathing gave me some trills.

Willem

sandysue

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:42 pm

wow Neil

That's really an awesome guitar version of heliotrope bouquet that you've created. It sounds beautiful. when i hear how much you practice, it makes me think I need a class on how to develop OCD. :)

dtaylor

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:03 pm

Yeah, it's getting there! Incredible.
Serious question, how many people on the planet do you think could even play this?

BobR

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:42 pm

So that's what you do in your spare time :) nice!

thereshopeyet

Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:24 am

Neil

I watched this several times last night.
Would you eventually consider putting Heliotrope together as a drip feed lesson ?
Thanks

Dermot

:)

sbutler

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:11 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Neil

I watched this several times last night.
Would you eventually consider putting Heliotrope together as a drip feed lesson ?
Thanks

Dermot

:)

Dermot, before you request this song as a lesson, you have to promise that you'll video yourself playing it. B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic