>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 150 - And Winter Glows

TGNeil

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:06 am

Hi Gang,

Last week I put out a Work-In-Progress of this piece that appeared just before New Year's Eve 2014, and I figured it was time to update it a bit, with a little more of the story.

It was a very cold night on December 30, 2014, well cold for Northern California, and I sat down with my guitar and a starting visualizing warmth and family, maybe sitting around the fire enjoying each other's company. The guitar started playing this soft, gentle melody and wouldn't stop. In less than an hour I had outlines for two sections. Very early the next morning I revisited and refined them a little, and it was done. I polished it up a bit over the next few days, mostly working on transitions between the sections, and this is what it sounds like now. One of my students suggested I should even call it Norman Rockwell but the title pretty much came along with the song as well.

I also thought it might be nice to experiment with multiple cameras as that is something I generally don't take the time to do in most video lessons. In any case, I hope you like it.

Happy Holidays!

Neil

BobR

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi Neil,

I think you've captured the warmth and family with this one. It sounded really beautiful. :)

Bob

thereshopeyet

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:00 pm

Neil

Very warm tune, could melt any audience !

I like the camera angles too.

Dermot

sbutler

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:14 pm

Wonderful song Neil. I can hear the Family next to the Fire for sure.

So, that's was a very pleasant Preview, now we need the first drip feed lesson, and I'll get started. Oh, and some tab would be nice too.

Scott

willem

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:20 pm

In the news wrap I understood "when winter grows"

Its your style thats for sure.

jayswett

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:13 pm

Lovely. Who did your video editing for this? It was great. The multi-camera technique was very effective. I presume this will be on your next album, currently in production?

TGNeil

Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:14 pm

jayswett wrote:
Lovely. Who did your video editing for this? It was great. The multi-camera technique was very effective. I presume this will be on your next album, currently in production?
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the kind words. I did the video, it's just not the type of thing I want to take time to do in most lessons. I am planning on more Acoustic Snapshots done in a similar style, and possibly a new album. I definitely have a lot of new material, along with a bunch of older pieces that are recorded and waiting for a home, some of which I have played bits of on the News at times.

I also just found a big stash of CDs that I probably need to put on clearance. If anybody is interested in buying some at bargain basement prices I will see what we can do to get them out there. Mostly A Beatles Collection and El Dorado as I recall but probably a few Cobble Creek and Yesterday's News as well.

Willem, and others who were paying too much attention, the title was in a bit of a state of settling in on the first video. Now I'm pretty sure it's called And Winter Glows, but I am still processing the message.

Neil

sandysue

Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:41 pm

That's a beautiful song Neil. It would make a nice soundtrack for an iMovie, maybe of friends snow skiing together down the mountainside or something like that. Really nice. :)

Sandy

willem

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:18 pm

Where can I listen "winter lights" ?

Willem

fjeanmur

Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:54 pm

Hey Neil,

Your new piece sounds like it belongs on my Nick Drake Pandora station which aside from Nick Drake stuff, has mostly acoustic things that I get lost in again and again. So really nice!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic