On the Beat - Episode 271 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up January 9th, 2015

tgjameela

Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -9th-2015/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Welcome to the New Year! Hopefully we will get things back to normal here at TG soon. This week we had some
fun stuff happening on the Forum, it’s always great to hear people working on Nick Drake tunes for example.
In the course of the usual ramblings I gave some tips on singing songs that are difficult to play, as well as
creating melodic solos. I’m pretty sure a new series will start on that track soon.

We had a couple Acoustic Snapshots this week, and today started a drip feed lesson on J.S. Bach’s Prelude In D
Minor
. This was a piece that I have been trying to get to for over a year and there were just too many things to
consider and possible fingerings to explore to rush into it.

After running through some of the recent highlights I figured I should just take Frank Zappa’s advice when he
said “Shut Up And Play…”, so the end was a random improv which included some familiar themes. I hope you
enjoy it.

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

michelew

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:03 am

Neil,

Thanks for your comments on my upload. 'Cool' from you sure is music to my ears. I generally use the approaches you suggested when starting to sing against something that's hard to play, but your suggestion about marking where certain words fall is one I haven't really tried. Nick Drake's phrasing is a bit different from many artists so I think that could really help here. I think, as you say, I need to have the singing sections automatic first (the playing that is). I'm getting there, so maybe there is hope.

Thanks again for the lesson. I really enjoyed learning this one. Well I'm a sucker for syncopation generally.

Your new song is starting to sound so familiar now that I feel like I'm remembering it from the distant past. It reminds me a little of James Taylor. Good luck finding the right name.

Michele

sbutler

Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:40 am

I'm thinking that was the best rendition of "Windy and Warm" that I've ever heard.

Great job Mister.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic