On the Beat - Episode 272 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up January 16th, 2015

tgjameela

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 16th-2015/

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 16th-2015/

I spent a lot of today's time talking about difficult parts of pieces that I am working on, and on that tangent played a lot of them,
although butchered may be a better description. I am coming to the conclusion that working specifically on the hardest parts in
concentrated doses carries over to anything else you are working on. I think I elaborated a bit on that as time went on.

I really want to thank Vanessa for a couple great tunes this week, Old Pine by Ben Howard and Wait by Broken Fences. Special
thanks to Corina for singing Wait with Vanessa.

We also had another in Sandy's series of lessons on Fleetwood Mac's Rhiannon. This is a song I never considered having someone
turn into a version that might be performable but we are making big headway in that direction. I don't think we'll see the end of
this for a little while. I hope some of you are enjoying it.

Getting back to music included in today's clip, I think I identified most of them as they popped up, and even played all the way
through the Prelude In D Minor. Other snippets included Heliotrope Bouquet, Bethena, Etude #1 by Villa-Lobos, Venezuelan Waltz
#2 by Antonio Lauro, Faro's Rag by John Renbourn, and I'm sure a few others. This is probably my way of hinting at a coming
flurry of Level 9 lessons.

Speaking of the Prelude, I would also like people to start thinking about chord analysis of the piece, measure by measure. Although
try not to consult GuitarPro on this, the pedal point effect (same bass note held under changing chords) doesn't translate well.

Back next week... I hope!

sandysue

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:08 pm

Neil

You're an awesome musician. You've mastered some of the most complicated music. It takes a lot of dedication and talent to achieve that level of expertise. We are so lucky that you are willing to teach all of us to play the guitar, regardless of our skill level. Lucky us. :)

Thank you so much. :)

Sandy

thereshopeyet

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:08 pm

Neil

Great weekly news.
You are awesome when fire up ... maybe you'll upload some of those clips for review and see what Neil has to say about them !!! :dry:

:ohmy:

Sounds like you have plans for some amazing lesson coming up.
You could call your new album....

Mission Impossible Resolved !

Dermot

sbutler

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:13 am

Well I have never seen you struggle with so much at one time. So the first thing my Guitar Teacher would say is too, "Slow it down Neil". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Also, I've learned that the little bit of wisdom that you shared about, working on hard segments of some songs, makes other stuff a lot easier. Since I was the dummy who thought he should start on Classical Gas, and Sleight of hand, etc, as soon as I started playing the guitar, I've noticed that not only are those songs coming along nicely, the skills they have taught me are now paying off with other songs far above my skill level.

I started on Quick Sand a couple of years ago. In fact I was still in Alaska. But I couldn't get past part A, so I shelved it. Now that my shoulder is healed enough to play every day, I decided to start on it again and I can now play stuff that stumped me before.

So, as Sandy said, we are so very lucky to have you in our corner and teaching us this stuff. Really glad your here.

Scott

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:49 am

That was a beautiful piece you played at the beginning Neil, lovely! Its great when you show us stuff you are working on as we can see that even you have to go through your struggles to nail down a piece, albeit at a dizzyingly higher level :-). It inspiring. Great wisdom on what happens when you work on technically difficult stuff! I have not been able to get enthusiastic about the Ragtime stuff (and I'm not sure why), but I love these classical pieces.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic