On The Beat - Episode 279 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up February 27th, 2015

tgjameela

Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 27th-2015/

`http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

A mystery song to start the News today, although maybe not so mysterious, and by the end I played through much of
the melody. There was also a short improv at the end that we might think about turning into a songwriting collaboration.
I think it would need some refinement first.

One thing that occurred to me this week was that it had been a while since we had a new Beatles tune, and I was
surprised to see that we had never done If I Fell, one of Lennon's best in my opinion.

This week we had some other new songs as well, Make You Better by The Decemberists, a twofer lesson on Angel Of Harlem
and Desire by U2,
and Section B of Heliotrope Bouquet. A follow-up lesson with Chris working on Quicksand brought up
another song he was working on, the Game Of Thrones Theme, that included artificial harmonics. This got me on to
explaining a little about the technique.

I hope you find some useful tidbits, or maybe a little entertainment in the clip.

wrench

Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:20 pm

That's a very nice version of MacArthur Park. Gonna be a lesson one day?

willem

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:40 am

Thanks for the harmonic tip, I just wanted to ask a bout that.

fjeanmur

Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:44 am

MacArthur Park--I remember that so well from years ago.

Another piece of trivia--

The actor that recorded the song, Richard Harris, was also the original Dumbledore in the first two Harry Potter movies before he passed away. But as for getting the lyrics right, that wouldn't surprise me because I, for one, believe that those were some of the dumbest lyrics I've ever heard! Anyone agree/disagree?

thereshopeyet

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:38 pm

Neil

Thanks

Have a great weekend !

Dermot

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:11 pm

That would be a really interesting lesson on MacArthur Park Neil (got it on chord 3) ... and if its not a lesson, I reckon you need to gift the world a rendition of it. :) At least with an instrumental, there would be no carping on about the lyrics! I liked the cake melting in the rain ( a real event).

I think Richard Harris sings: "MacArthur's Park" but it should be without the 's.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic