On The Beat - Episode 282 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up March 20th, 2015

tgjameela

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 20th-2015/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Spring is here, I know because our local classical station started the morning with a little Felix Mendelssohn, who we also have to thank
for recognizing the genius of J.S. Bach and bringing his music back into the mainstream after it languished in obscurity as the Baroque
Period gave way to the march of history. This tangential excursion is brought to you by the folks behind the scenes who tell me to write
more stuff about the News each week. Now on to stuff I did touch on in the video.

I hope everybody saw some of the Fly On The Wall lesson with Robb, although I can’t ask anybody to watch the whole thing, except
maybe Robb, as it was a bit long. But this also gives me a chance to mention that anytime anyone from TG is in Northern California I
am happy to set some time aside for a private lesson. I have to admit I was a bit unsure of where to go when he said he wanted to work
on Chick Corea’s Spain. I was relieved that the issue was counting rather than putting together a solo guitar arrangement. It gave us an
excuse to go into other songs like Over The Hills And Far Away that have tricky rhythms.

The other new lessons for the week included the conclusion of Heliotrope Bouquet, Bob Dylan’s Simple Twist Of Fate, and Kiss From A
Rose by Seal

I also played through (maybe “around with” would be a better description) some classical pieces that I have been thinking of doing lessons
on. Unfortunately, many of these would require much more time than I can usually allot for a lesson, orders of magnitude in some cases,
and the complaints of the frequency of new lessons would probably roll in quickly. There might be a happy medium out there somewhere
though so I think I will get on some more complex pieces in the near future. I also talked a little about the thread asking for more Play
Throughs as part of this discussion.

The other big News around here is our sister-site Totally Electric Guitars is up and running with my colleague Max Rich. Max will also be
joining us for a day or two at this year’s IGC, meaning we will branch out into a little electric stuff. We also have a special offer brewing
for TG members over at TEG so keep your eyes on the Forum and watch for announcements in the weekly emails.

OK, I am at a loss for words, finally!

sbutler

Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:33 pm

Well I have to say that you've been a real over achiever with the "recommend a lesson" list. When I see just what you've done since the start, it is really amazing. There are some on there that seem to be perfect candidates, but haven't been elected yet. But all in all, its obvious that you keep an eye on that list. Many Thanks.

As for the Slow mo, Quicksand being harder to play. I've found that out myself. I was pretty proud of myself, bumping Guitar Pro up to 80%. Then for grins I sync'd your lesson play through with GP at 100%, and found that your lesson is even faster. You really had your foot on the pedal with that one. So my 80% on GP was about 25% short. That let the air out of my balloon, but I'm getting there.

ps, there is always a Tommy E lesson or two, like Rubys Eyes or Angelina that would make really good lessons. just sayin!

Scott

michelew

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:57 pm

Neil,

Congratulations on the addition to the TG family with Totally Electric Guitars. I'll be checking it out.

Just wondering whether I should continue to hold hope that there might be a Totally Bass(es) one day. Apparently it's all about the bass you know. :) :)

I'm guessing it's a pipe dream, but I remember your bass buddy joining the TG News (or was it TG Live?) one week, so thought it might possibly be on the drawing board.

Curious.

Thanks.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic