D'Addario Strings Caveat Emptor

wrench

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:30 am

Is anyone noticing changes in recently-purchased D'Addario strings? I usually buy a crap-ton of strings at a time, and therefore I don't buy frequently. On replenishing recently, I noticed no subtle difference in my favorite EJ11 strings, and all for the better. The WOW factor was significant. I checked the packaging, and I noticed the tensions are lower, so I checked further, and I see that D'Addario is now drawing their own music wire, although they claim to be using this wire only on coated (EXPxx) strings. However, these new EJxx show the same qualities they claim for the new EXPxx. BTW, the improvements go beyond lower tension. I am really happy, really confused, but really happy, with the changes in the new strings, so I found some good pricing and loaded up on EJ16 Phosphor Bronze as well. This is where consumers may be getting caught up in transition. I bought strings from three sources, and the strings from two of them are still the old strings. This is not the end of the world. After all. I liked them before, right?

I'm just saying that if you want buy a lot of the new strings, and you specifically want the lower tensions, and you're getting a good price, you might want to verify with your supplier they are the new lower tension strings.

Caveat Emptor.