On The Beat - Episode 294 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up June 5th, 2015

TGCory

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:17 pm

Hey Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -5th-2015/

Lately I have been thinking about some of the instrumental arrangements I did many years ago that might make good lessons. Today's News started with one of those, which led me to attempt a few others scattered through the video, with pretty mixed results. A question I would like to pose is to look for suggestions of instrumentals our members might like to see. I also addressed some of the comments brought up in the Questions & Answers with Neil thread. I would certainly like to see more of those and could incorporate some answers into each Friday update.

Of course the big news this week, at least for me, is getting the Student Reviews working again. I hope our members will start taking advantage of this feature again as I know there is almost always something in each one that everybody can benefit from.

In the course of the week we had some new content: It's Only Love by The Beatles, Eva Cassidy's version of Songbird by Fleetwood Mac, and a FOTW with Sandy starting to work on I Heard It Through The Grapevine. We also got Reviews up on Anton's upload of Budapest, Bill's run through of Harvest Moon, and new life to the one that broke the system many months ago, Tom's draft of Adelita.

Gotta run for now, maybe updates from an afternoon trip into the Santa Cruz Mountains for a little wine tasting.

Wish You Were Here,

Neil

dtaylor

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:25 pm

Of course 'As My Guitar Gently Weeps' would be great, but if I could choose one chord melody version it'd be 'Here, There, and Everywhere'.

sbutler

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Penny Lane would be a blast to work on, so would Day Tripper (its all about da base), Somewhere over the Rainbow (simply a classic). So yeah, there are some Instrumentals I'd jump on quickly.

Scott

michelew

Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:26 pm

It's fantastic to see the return of student reviews and the uploader.

I have absoultely benefited from Vanessa's suggestion to upload early progress videos of things we're working on. I generally wait until I think I've learn a song well enough or I'm absolutely stuck and need advice. But, her more than 13 minute review (WOW) of my video on Lovesong has been really helping me to improve in a bunch of ways. Thanks Nessa!

Actually, I was surprised to find that I was already playing lots of it automatically. I've had to slow it WAY down to get the additional string muting into the verses and the simultaneous formation of the Fmaj7 and other suggestions. My head was hurting there for a little while. :) The technique of returning your picking fingers to the strings quickly to mute them is especially cool. Actually I hope to upload a short video just to show how I've changed my playing in response, not the whole thing just a couple of segments.

Neil - once you've run out of videos to review (since I've just had a generous review) I'd love to hear any suggestions you have for me to improve Nick Drake's Things Behind The Sun; that is besides me just playing it until it's smoother and more automatic of course. That was a great lesson by the way. I especially enjoyed the syncopation and trying to vary it in places. Funnily, I found I fell into a pattern with the variation attempts, crazy :)

Btw - Your suggestions on Bill's, Tom's and Anton's videos were interesting; I especially liked the pick and nail combo strum idea. I haven't seen that before.

Instrumentals - I'm not an instrumentals person in truth, but the one that would tempt me the most of the ones you played today at least would be Over the Rainbow; beautiful.

I hope you had a great time enjoying the vino and the beautiful scenery.

Thanks

Michele

thereshopeyet

Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:48 pm

Neil

Thanks for answering the questions..... secondary dominant etc.
Also taking the time to explain the chord numbers.

Instrumentals.... maybe consider .... Lemon Twist ?

Dermot Image

thereshopeyet

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:32 pm

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic