On The Beat - Episode 299 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up July 10th, 2015

tgjameela

Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:33 pm

Hey Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 10th-2015/

It seems like every six months or so MattF drops back in to restart and review. This week we got a chance to sit in with him as we went over essential
strumming strategy in a Fly On The Wall lesson. We also finished up the Villa-Lobos Etude that I hope hundreds of you are working diligently on.
The songs lessons we added this week were My Immortal by Evanescence (which reminded me of a story about a couple of young students), and Do
You Believe In Magic by The Lovin’ Spoonful.

We had three new Student Reviews this week as well and I hope to see many more in the near future. Never Going Back Again, If You Could Read My
Mind, and Vincent brought out some comments that I hope everybody can apply to songs they are working on.

This week I had some time to check out recent additions to the Busking channel and I have to say it was really cool to hear a mix of old favorites along
with some newer stuff that had not been on my radar. Talking about newer stuff reminded me of a lesson just last night where one of my students
asked me to listen to Joe Pug and Father John Misty. I was pretty impressed by a couple songs and am considering adding songs of theirs to our
lesson catalog. Let me know what you think about that.

I also pulled out a book I have been trying to dig into that a lot of people might find interesting, The Guitar Player Book. It includes a bunch of articles
from the magazine archives. I stumbled onto a page about Pat Metheny and his song James just before I was rudely interrupted, and managed to cut
back with a sad attempt at resurrecting my loose arrangement of the tune. That made me realize I had to wind up the rambling and get back to practicing!

Till next week, stay tuned & in touch,

Neil

michelew

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:22 pm

Oh... I know I know this song.... But... What's its name?

Which song is Neil playing at 3:58 - 4:0 (something)?

I'm sure I'll kick myself when I read it. Confession: I'm rubbish with remembering song names....and...artists... There I admit it .... DAMN! my music loving cred just flew right out the window. Or maybe 'yous' all knew that already :)

mweston

Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:48 am

Michelle, I think that's Heatwave followed shortly after by Different Drum. Doesn't mean my music loving cred is any better, I just watched the Do You Believe In Magic? lesson before this and Neil played Heatwave to show the similarity.

Neil: I would vote on a lesson for Different Drum. I've been listening to a lot of Linda Rondstadt lately and there are several of her earlier hits I would like to be able to play. And it doesn't seem like there are any Linda lessons on TG yet. (And as an added point of interest, it has a tie-in to the Monkees, too!)

michelew

Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:02 am

Thanks Marc I'll check it out.

M

unclewalt

Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:54 am

davidrfinn99165

Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Thx Neil, love the Blind Blake... and the Dm progression at the end.. that was going somewhere good, always leave them wanting more !

/ david

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic