>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 157 - God Only Knows - The Beach Boys

tgjameela

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a brand new Acoustic Snapshot for you today.

In early 1965 Brian Wilson stopped touring with the Beach Boys in order to concentrate on writing and recording. The first album from this next phase was Pet Sounds, an album not well received immediately by the public but now considered a historic masterpiece.

God Only Knows is a beautiful collaboration from Brian Wilson and Tony Asher that combined unusual chord inversions and tonal centers (what key was that?), with a tear-jerking vocal from Carl Wilson. This arrangement tries to bring as much as possible of the original parts into a coherent solo guitar piece. It always comes out a little different but here is how it went in July, 2015.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/acoustics ... nly-knows/

crieniecat

Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:16 pm

Nice!!
:) :) :)

unclewalt

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:15 pm

TGNeil

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Hey Walt,

I am thrilled to read that reaction... and, as you may have guessed, there is a lesson under construction for this arrangement. Sometimes the biggest obstacle for me is getting a Play Through of the piece that I am happy with. Once that's done, the lesson is all downhill! Coming soon, I promise.

Neil

willem

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:24 pm

Neil you are so good at this kind of guitar playing but every time I see and hear you doing this I think I must go back to "on the horizon" and I will do that.

Super job

Willem

daryl

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:29 pm

Nice touch with the 2nd camera angle. And of course, beautiful guitar work.

wrsomers

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Neil,
That was absolutely beautiful! I can't wait for your lesson. I hope that you also include a strumming or picking vocal accompaniment as well. This is a great song and shows what a great writer Brian Wilson is. I'm working on "If You Could Read My Mind" and should post a revised version soon.
Thanks,
Bill

michelew

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Very nice.

I find it amazing how you're able to incorporate that many parts of the song into a solo guitar version.

unclewalt

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:25 pm

TGNeil

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:43 pm

unclewalt wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
Hey Walt,

I am thrilled to read that reaction... and, as you may have guessed, there is a lesson under construction for this arrangement. Sometimes the biggest obstacle for me is getting a Play Through of the piece that I am happy with. Once that's done, the lesson is all downhill! Coming soon, I promise.

Neil
I did guess, but I've already requested, and since a lesson seemed likely, I didn't want to appear to beg. Really looking forward to it. Such a great arrangement. I like toward the end where you get to the part where the phrases in the chorus sort of overlap (that's the closest I can get to accurate terminology) -- you're so into it, you look like Doc Watson. I mean, you really look like a blind guy there. Blind Neil Hogan. That part, by the way, is really nicely done -- it really sounds almost like other musicians coming in under each phrase.

I have spent the past couple of months on the "Landslide" instrumental, which I really thought I might not be able to do (at least without a full, walk-through lesson). So now I'm brimming with confidence. It's in my fingers now (as of yesterday, in fact), but lots of practicing to do. I'll do that until this one comes through.
Walt,

Thanks again for the response and now I'd like to ask you for a favor. Have you considered uploading something for review? I really feel like a bunch of people benefit from every one of these and I know you work on songs that a little off the rock radar.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic