On The Beat - Episode 300 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up July 17th, 2015

tgjameela

Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:07 pm

Hey Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 17th-2015/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

There have been some really interesting threads on the Forum lately, some new and some pretty old.
I particularly enjoyed revisiting the Collaborations from a few years back. As it went, on today’s News
I addressed some questions and comments from the Forum, as well as a technique question raised on
the Never Going Back Again lesson. Near the end I offer up a useful picking exercise that might help
with that song, but even more useful for general finger independence and coordination.

The new lessons this week included a more complete look at Goodbye Blue Sky by Pink Floyd, Free’s
classic All Right Now
, Driving Towards The Daylight by Joe Bonamassa, and a Review of Bill’s first take
on Gordon Lightfoot’s If You Could Read My Mind.

This week I also got a chance to practice a bit and put together an Acoustic Snapshot of Brian Wilson’s
masterpiece God Only Knows
. I certainly appreciate the kind words from everybody and will get to a lesson
on this soon, hopefully next week.

I also brought up stuff I hope to follow up on this weekend, or soon, a list of more potential IGC sing-a-longs,
and Willem’s request for some fills in Angie.

That was the News from cookin’ California today,

Neil

willem

Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:21 pm

tgjameela wrote:
Hey Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 17th-2015/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

There have been some really interesting threads on the Forum lately, some new and some pretty old.
I particularly enjoyed revisiting the Collaborations from a few years back. As it went, on today’s News
I addressed some questions and comments from the Forum, as well as a technique question raised on
the Never Going Back Again lesson. Near the end I offer up a useful picking exercise that might help
with that song, but even more useful for general finger independence and coordination.

The new lessons this week included a more complete look at Goodbye Blue Sky by Pink Floyd, Free’s
classic All Right Now
, Driving Towards The Daylight by Joe Bonamassa, and a Review of Bill’s first take
on Gordon Lightfoot’s If You Could Read My Mind.

This week I also got a chance to practice a bit and put together an Acoustic Snapshot of Brian Wilson’s
masterpiece God Only Knows
. I certainly appreciate the kind words from everybody and will get to a lesson
on this soon, hopefully next week.

I also brought up stuff I hope to follow up on this weekend, or soon, a list of more potential IGC sing-a-longs,
and Willem’s request for some fills in Angie.

That was the News from cookin’ California today,

Neil

Wow cookin' California, a friend of my is traveling the westcoast right now and I hope he's enjoying it.

Neil I will remind you for the fills in "Angie", I'm searching for some fills in the Am measer and The G measer (with now lovin'n in our souls), I really understand more when it is counted out, I am talking a bout accompany the song and would love to know more what KR was doing, what I do now is strumming it as explained in your lesson. Thx.

Willem

dtaylor

Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:32 pm

The subtle little slide in God Only Knows is a nice effect, not that the listener would notice unless it's pointed out.

thereshopeyet

Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:11 pm

Neil
Thanks for Pink Floyds Goodbye Blue Sky lesson.

There was also a request in the forum for Goodbye Blue Sky - Pink Floyd - Forum 2010 in 2010 by gchapel.

Thanks also for the Finger Independence Practice Suggestion in this weeks news (10:55 to 13:57 minutes) you demonstrated
as a response to Michelle's Never Going Back Again reviews.

Dermot

Congratulations on 300 Editions of Totally Guitars Weekly News ! :dry: :ohmy:

Hello Blue Sky
:dry: :blink:

michelew

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Neil,

So I'm noting your contribution for the collective noun quest as a "gaggle" of guitars. :)

I just wanted to give some feedback on your "saving paper" comment at about 10:50 minutes in - well I'm seeking a clarification actually as I may have misunderstood what you were suggesting. Regardless of whatever you might add to the video lesson to make them more useful, I hope you're not going to move away from providing PDF files of the tab / music / lyrics that accompany the lessons (in addition to the GPro files).

It would be really inconvenient to have to view the video to use the tab, chart, etc. In my opinion, they definitely need to continue to be downloadable so we can store them in our favourite music organisers and use them off-line; personally, I use ForScore on my iPad for storing, searching and viewing my music. I never print them any more.

The small number of lessons accessible through GarageBand use the on-line notation approach - and don't to my knowledge allow you to download the music notation. It drives me crazy and I'd hate to see the approach replicated on TG.

So I'm all for adding extra functionality to the lesson videos, but please don't reduce the functionality we have now.

I'll repost this in Matt's thread about the new site so it's all together.

Thanks

Michele

thereshopeyet

Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:13 am

Michelle Wrote:
I hope you're not going to move away from providing PDF files of the tab / music / lyrics that accompany the lessons (in addition to the GPro files).
Michelle,, I hope your not saying "Never Coming Back Again" :dry: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe you could do one of your Poll topics on this point and see what other folk think.
I too would miss the Pdf's as I rely on them away from the PC.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic