>>Acoustic Snapshots Episode 159 - On The Beach with Muriel Anderson

tgjameela

Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

We have a brand new Acoustic Snapshot for you today.

My wife Nani and I had summer plans to spend a few days in New York City as part of a trip she had to make for a teacher’s writing conference at Columbia University. We had a close friend who offered to let us stay in her vacant apartment in Brooklyn and we figured we we do as many touristy things as possible, although we were having trouble settling on what exactly we thought we should do.

Two days before we were to leave I got a call from Muriel Anderson, who was heading to the West Coast a couple weeks later and we talked about travel, transportation, and lodging specifics for her trip. At the end, and just as a personal afterthought, I asked if she was home in Nashville enjoying a little downtime.

She said she was enjoying some downtime but not at home, rather, on the beach on the south shore of Long Island. When I mentioned we were headed to NYC in two days she invited us to come to Oak Beach and join Bryan Allen and her for some sailing and general goofing off.

Needless to say, this became a no-brainer: crowds, heat and the Empire State Building or Gilligan’s Island with friends? So it turned out we saw a few sights and spent a night in Brooklyn before taking the Long Island Railroad out to Babylon where my cousin Carl picked us up. We had a great Italian dinner with him and his wife before he dropped us off at Bryan’s place. This was a cottage that his grandparents bought in 1952 and now his rustic home. This time of year it is also home to some very fierce and fearless mosquitoes, a great reason to spend much time in the water.

So somewhere along with a little guitar playing, bike riding, swimming, enjoying great company and meals, hammock napping, sailing out on the Atlantic (with a snack & swim stop at Democrat Point on Fire Island), Muriel and I managed to sit down and talk shop early Sunday morning before heading back to the train and Brooklyn.

I didn’t really have a plan as to the direction we might go but we talked about her harp guitar, she played a few songs, went through her upcoming West Coast itinerary, and even compared notes on composing. It was particularly a treat to hear some works in progress. She started with View From Space, followed by a new ragtime piece, A Fine Pickle. The works in progress included The Matador and The Immigrant, working titles both on those.

I can’t thank Muriel and Bryan enough for turning our already highly anticipated New York trip into something more along the lines of landmark event in our lives.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/acoustics ... on-part-1/

thereshopeyet

Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:35 pm

Neil and Muriel

Great video.
With the water in the background it could be a scene from Splash with a legendary Mermaid playing harp guitar !!
Amazing sound.

Thanks for sharing a snapshot of your holiday !

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic