On The Beat - Episode 303 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up August 14th, 2015

tgjameela

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:11 pm

Hey Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 14th-2015/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

This week had a couple lessons that included improvised instrumental segments that I had a lot of fun with.
It may turn into more of a habit as the response on the Forum is pretty positive, thanks. Today's News started
with a stab at the lesson I don't think I tried it with, Man On The Moon by REM.

The first thing I talked about was our guest for the weekend, Muriel Anderson. She is doing a few shows in the
area and hopefully I can sit down with her and talk music and life again. If anybody has questions they would
like to ask her just start a thread on the Forum and I'll see what I can do.

I also mentioned some IGC stuff, mostly that everybody who is coming should have gotten some emails from me
recently. Less than 3 weeks to go and I am getting really excited. Hopefully the last minutes details and
arrangements won't impact lesson production, too much...?

I also went through the new lessons and additions quickly. Along with the REM tune we had Carrie by Europe
(thanks to Vanessa!), Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. The
3 songs I did were culled from the old Recommend A Lesson list, which I still refer to frequently.

We also had a Fly video with my young protégé Chris working on Sleight Of Hand, as well as a Review on Bill's
update to If You Could Read My Mind. I did mention that I hope more stuff gets put into the Uploaded Videos
For Review Forum soon. I know lots of folks benefit from the comments there.

That was it for Aug. 14!

willem

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:42 pm

Okay "focus"

Nice weekend.

Willem

PS, for Muriel,, something a bout DADGAD

michelew

Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the updates. Just on the issue of loading videos to both the busking threads and the student review uploaders, I've been a culprit in the past. The reason is that it allows TG community members who are not currently Target members, to see the video; for example my buddy Daryl. I've been having some issues using the uploaders at all recently, so I've been tending to upload to YouTube itself and then I've embedded that link in a post in the most appropriate part(s) of the forum.

In short, I hope you're considering my suggestion to make student videos for review available for everyone to watch. It avoids the double posting issue.

Thanks.

Michele

TGNeil

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:25 pm

michelew wrote:
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the updates. Just on the issue of loading videos to both the busking threads and the student review uploaders, I've been a culprit in the past. The reason is that it allows TG community members who are not currently Target members, to see the video; for example my buddy Daryl. I've been having some issues using the uploaders at all recently, so I've been tending to upload to YouTube itself and then I've embedded that link in a post in the most appropriate part(s) of the forum.

In short, I hope you're considering my suggestion to make student videos for review available for everyone to watch. It avoids the double posting issue.

Thanks.

Michele
Hi Michele,

I think everybody can see uploaded videos but not the Reviews that I might put up. They still have to log in but those videos go under New Stuff On The Site- New Student Video Reviews, whether or not there is a Review.
http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/141 ... views.html

Neil

Looking again, that might only be ones I have reviewed. More research needed...

michelew

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback Neil. There must have been a change somewhere along the line that I missed. That's good to know.

Michele

Lavallee

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:55 pm

michelew wrote:
Hi Neil,

Thanks.

Michele

Hi Michele,

I think everybody can see uploaded videos but not the Reviews that I might put up. They still have to log in but those videos go under New Stuff On The Site- New Student Video Reviews, whether or not there is a Review.
www.totallyguitars.com/forum/141-new-st ... views.html

Neil

Looking again, that might only be ones I have reviewed. More research needed...

----------------------------
I am the last one who did the double posting for the same reason Michele explain. I agree with Michele suggestion since if you are not logged in when going into the forum, you do not know there is something in the student review section because it does not show up in the forum. I often just browse quickly not visiting other posts

Marc

TGNeil

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:16 pm

So here is the thing, it confuses me and I don't always see that there is an Upload For Review when I see the same title in the Busking thread. I must admit that I scan the new threads very quickly.

Neil

michelew

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:54 pm

That's good to know. Thanks for the info Neil.

So perhaps an interim solution is for us to upload via the student reviews uploader to enure you see it. We could then embed a YouTube link to the busking threads if we'd like non-TAGET members to also be able to view our videos.

Thanks. There's alwyays a solution if we know what's happening.

Michele

TGNesh

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:52 am

The thing is......Videos for Review are posted in the 'Target Members Only'-section of the forums. You indeed need to be logged in to see what's happening in that section. But obviously, as a non-Target-member, you're not able to see it at all. In the 'New Stuff on the Site', only the reviewed videos are in there.

Yes, you can view the video for review on Youtube, but a big disadvantage in my opinion is, non Target-members can not comment on those. (yes, on youtube, but that's not what we want), since they cannot get in. They can however, of course comment in the busking-section. And in general, I do think, that most members comment in the latter, regardless if they're Target or non-Target members. A reason for that might be that you can actually see the thread, when not being logged in. Apparently most members scan the forums quickly. Usually when I see a video and I want to comment, i indeed quickly log in, in order to do specifically that.

So, I don't know what the solution is....but it would be nice if éveryone can leave a comment when there is a new video for review up. And it'd be even better if you can see it without logging in first.

Ness

thereshopeyet

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:41 pm

Marc Wrote:
So Marc, your saying Reviewed videos should be located alongside uploads for review and not under new stuff ?

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic