On The Beat - Episode 309 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up October 2nd, 2015

tgjameela

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Hey Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -2nd-2015/

This was a different week for me. I had a recurring gig, annually that is, playing at a fancy hotel near
Stanford in Menlo Park, the Venture Capital capitol of Silicon Valley. It is usually 4 hours of background
music and I usually bring along additional musicians to spread out the load. This year I went solo and
I have to tell you it was exhausting. It did present a chance to play some unusual stuff, and I show
some examples in the News today.

I started with a little run through of our updated St. James Infirmary, a la Arlo, courtesy of Lynn’s
knowledge, and continued with a whole bunch of random tunes that appeared mostly due to having to
play so long last night. It might be a good day for a Name That Tune contest with prizes!

I talked a little about our two IGCs next summer, hinting at some places we are, and are not considering
at this point. We are certainly not expecting anyone to go to both but hope to see a lot of new faces with
additional dates and locations.

The other big news is the News is moving, days of the week that is. This may be the last Friday wrap up
for a bit as we transition into Wednesday becoming News day. Feedback as it materializes will be
appreciated, possibly ignored, but appreciated.

I think I reviewed the new content for TG somewhere along the line. If not, what we had this week consisted
on a couple Student Reviews, Driving Towards The Daylight by Marc, Joe Bonamassa and Vanessa, and a
continuing look at Scott’s life with Tommy Emmanuel’s Ruby’s Eyes, some Acoustic Snapshots showing
Doug Young’s
mastery of instrumental guitar pieces, along with the Hogan girls harmonizing on Landslide,
then Target lessons finishing up Nexus by Dan Fogelberg along with Eric Clapton’s jazzy version of Over
The Rainbow
, and of course, Ed’s new look at St. James Infirmary, a bit different than the Dave Van Ronk
version we saw last year.

So, today’s pop quiz: Who can list the most titles of tunes that jumped out of my guitar today? I know one
for sure that will be quite a challenge in spite of the fact that I pretty much played it in its entirety, an
unreleased original as far as I can remember.

Back on a coming Wednesday…

jayswett

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:33 pm

That St. James Infirmary song is really nice. I need to spend some time understanding those chords higher up the neck.

michelew

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:39 pm

Hey Neil,

it's great to hear that if I make it to camp in some sunny warm location in Europe that you'll probably be there. :). Haha. :)

Thanks for the nice comments about the latest song.

Don't worry about not getting to more slide stuff yet, but I'll be looking out for it for sure.

Thanks

Michele

wrsomers

Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:04 am

jayswett wrote:
That St. James Infirmary song is really nice. I need to spend some time understanding those chords higher up the neck.
Hey Neil,

I loved your solo on St. James Infirmary. How about a lesson on at least that part of the song. I'm working on a full rendition that I intend to post on the Student Review thread some day. The solo would really complete the performance.

In the verse I've added a Dm after the 2nd Am on strings 1, 2 & 3 at the 5th, 6th, & 7th frets and also a D bend in the Fmaj7 before landing on E7 (and sometimes some kind of augmented chord by adding a C (string 2 at fret 1) to the G#) before going back to E7. I hope that makes sense.

Hopefully you can get to a lesson like this. It's such a great old traditional. A few years back I went to Preservation Hall in New Orleans and requested this song. The sound of a full New Orleans jazz band playing this was phenomenal.

Bill

jayswett

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:26 am

I have spent hours over the weekend working on St. James Infirmary Blues. I really enjoy playing this song and have loved it since Ed's first FOTW came out a wihle back. However, I am stumped and can go no further at this point. I need help.

Can someone please tell me what chord Neil is playing at 48 secs into the song, and also the chord immediately following. There is one final chord at 53 secs that I can't seem to figure out. My sense is that they are just different voicings of Am and E7, but am not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

I have the chord progression down, but it's the interesting things done higher up the neck that are confusing me.

TGNesh

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:49 am

You mean in the news right?

Not too sure if Neil wants me to give it away that easily, but....I'll guess I'll answer anyway :P . I could be wrong though! ;)

E7: 0xx797
Am: x0 10 9 10 8
Am: x0x5x5

Hope that helps! :)

jayswett wrote:
I have spent hours over the weekend working on St. James Infirmary Blues. I really enjoy playing this song and have loved it since Ed's first FOTW came out a wihle back. However, I am stumped and can go no further at this point. I need help.

Can someone please tell me what chord Neil is playing at 48 secs into the song, and also the chord immediately following. There is one final chord at 53 secs that I can't seem to figure out. My sense is that they are just different voicings of Am and E7, but am not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

I have the chord progression down, but it's the interesting things done higher up the neck that are confusing me.

jayswett

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:37 am

Yes, I did mean his playing of it in the news. Thanks for the help. Will have another crack at this when I get home.
Jay

jayswett

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:27 pm

Revisiting this St. James Infirmary Blues tonight. Wow. What a great song. Love it. I would love to see Ed post a video of him playing it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic