Is there anyone who would like to post videos if only they knew how? Why don't you post more videos? Poll inside

michelew

Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:13 pm

It's been a while since I've asked this question. I'm curious as to why people don't post more videos, either for review or just to share what they're doing with the community. I'm specifically wondering whether there are people in the community who would like to post videos but just don't have the tech-know how. I was going to start a request-a-lesson thread as a suggestion that one of our awesome teachers might step in and fill the knowledge gap by showing us how they make their videos; and then suggest people support it if they wanted such a lesson of course. But, I thought I'd ask this more basic question first. What's stopping you from posting more?

I've attached a poll with the sorts of reasons I expect to hear, but if you fit into the "another reason" basket, let us know what it is.

I've been posting videos for so long that I can't really remember how I got started. I think I just started playing around with iMovie; which is very easy to get started with.

For those of you who do post, how did you get started? Did you find a fabulous youtube "how-to" video, did you go to a class, get shown how by a friend, just work it out yourself? Is there anything in your experience that might help others to get started too? I'd especially like to hear from you if you initially thought it would be beyond you, but you've since learned it isn't. What worked for you?

OK enough from me? Would anyone out there post videos if they just knew how to do it? What do you think you need to fill the gap?

Cheers

Michele

Lavallee

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi Michele,

Good idea to bring this back

I would think that some people are concerned to post a song that have already been posted but better played than what they could do at that time. . The video reviews from Neil and Vanessa are made to help improve , it is not a contest. Everybody should take that opportunity, even record with a cell phone. The more you post , the easier it gets

Marc

michelew

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:15 pm

EXCELLENT points Marc, all of them. Thanks for pointing them out.

Shel

TGNesh

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:48 am

I have to agree with you too Marc, excellent points indeed!

I've always thought that the uploading for review was one of the best features on the site and as a student, I have surely used it. Now as a TG-teacher, I couldn't encourage people enough to post. And not necessarily, as I have stated before, with a finished product (which is nice too, don't get me wrong there ;) ), but as they're working through a song, a work in progress video.

When I started recording videos, it was just with this simple camera, which i just let run. Later, when having an okay enough video, i would cut beginning and end in Windows Movie Maker and that was it. Now I'm totally converted to Mac and obviously use iMovie. It works just fine for my needs I suppose.

The reason why I don't post anymore is because.......all my time goes into the play throughs for the lessons I do. You wouldn't think so, but they take by fár most of my time when preparing a lesson. So I feel like I post a video every week (well every two weeks at the moment). Does that count? :P

But yes, occasionally when I'm just playing through songs that I like, then I sometimes feel the desire to just record it and upload it for fun, as in the old pre-teaching days. But.....time, energy....it's not there I'm afraid. :(

What a great thread Shel! :)

Ness

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:23 am

Way back when, I was really excited when I suggested having busking threads and TG instantly made that possible. Those were heady days and its been great being able to post videos many times since. I remember how scary it was at first and all the headless videos before folks suddenly decided, its ok to show your face on TG (and Youtube, of course). It added another dimension to the TG experience and I have learned so much about recording video and sound and about editing and how to present a song. Finding out that TG is a safe and supportive place to show how you are progressing was another key moment in the development of this wonderful site. Finally there was a safe corner of your livingroom where you could play for others and get feedback and endless encouragement and even direct personal coaching from Neil himself. Fantastic!

These days, I have the equipment, set-up and know-how to do videos.... just missing some time and energy. But I love posting when I do get the time and energy although I am more fussy about the quality of what I post so that holds me back a little. But sometimes, I just can't resist sharing something new I've learned with my TG friends and often there is no one else to share with! So, thank TG for the opportunity to post videos!

Chris
PS: I would encourage everyone, especially those who have not yet posted a video to do so as often as you can, its a blast and helps you and everyone else to get out of the closet and share your music and progress... and its become almost a rite of passage here at TG.

willem

Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Having more time to do a recording is the point for me, since we moved (now 2 years a go) I have more things to do and enjoy, but guitar playing never left me, my practice moments are shorter (thats only better) and I work now more for complete songs, this with a vocalist (don't know if he is in for recording), we come ones a week to each other and work now on 3 songs, we do this mostly for a party night with the choir I am in..It' s really a lot of fun.

In all the years we been here we learned a lot of course, such has, keep in time, sustain notes, dynamics( simply said.on beat one and three 4/4 time) etc etc and we do want that in our playing or as the lesson told us and record the best version for a upload , thats a lot of practice time and then take a pill before we hit the record button, not the think a bout when we are half thru, is my hair right (lol).

Yes there will be a video when it's the right version and call it "in progress".

Willem B)

PS: I don't think that no one knows how to video with a smartphone and upload it here, mayby it's more being afraid of not be good or to good and don't want to show off (or shy)..

michelew

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Ness, Chris and Willem,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I sure have enjoyed watching your videos over the years.

So only one person has given an indication that having the know-how regarding how to make a video might be a barrier for him. Since he chose "all of the above" the reason may well be a combo of some of the options above it rather than video knowledge per se.

Well this thread was really just an attempt to understand the barriers that some of you may be experiencing. It would be a real shame if any of you would like to post something, but there's something getting in your way that's easy to fix. If anyone IS struggling with having the right equipment or knowing how to use it, remember that there's bound to be someone close to you who would be happy to give you a hand if you just ask.

If anyone out there has a Mac (and iMovie) and you'd like more info about how to make simple videos but you're feeling a bit shy about saying so on the forum, I'd be more than happy to give you a recipe. :) just PM me.

Having enough time is a tricky one. In my experience I generally resolve that one by committing to a project and then making a little room in my day where I'm spending time on me and my pursuits. Everything else will still be there tomorrow.

The nerves thing, well I can only say that it really does get easier. The best thing about videos is that you can fall to pieces and no one will ever know because that section gets cut. I often record over and over again for a little while and then select the best sectioon, or the section that shows the issue I'm having; depending on the reason for posting. This really is the most supportive audience you'll ever have. Everyone in the community wants you to succeed. There's a lot to gain by biting the bullet and just jumping.

I hope to see some new faces, and some ones that we haven't seen for a while, posting videos real soon.

It's really all just a bit of fun and learning at the end of the day.

Cheers

Michele

wiley

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:23 pm

Shel,

Right now it's a 'time' thing. We have a 'dinner party' tomorrow night, another "house concert" planned for Nov. 14th with Bobby Duncan ( have no clue if we will do a broadcast ) and it's the time of the year when it cools off enough to get some things done outside the house. New projects that need to be done, some older ones that need to be finished. Then again, that's really just an excuse - not a real reason. Seems like there is always something or another that needs fixin or tweakiing, welcome to 'home ownership'!

I had planned to do a 'box opening' and a song when the new Avian arrived. It hit Canada last week and made it to the supplier yesterday. However, the finish was nowhere near acceptable so, we are discussing the next step. I promised Neil a couple of years ago to post a song we had worked on, still owe him that, perhaps after the Dinner. Right now, I'm digging back into theory (I HATE that CRAP) more so than actual hands-on playing.

Last year at IGC 2014 Doug Young did a session on exactly this subject. Perhaps the mice here could get that up or - perhaps they could get Doug to 'chirp' in? He is, after all, one of the best at this around!

crieniecat

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:38 am

Talking about posting a video...

Dan! Still waiting for that video you promised us to post on TG ;-)

Can't imagine you're shy about it since you told me during IGC 2015, you already taped another (as you called it) better version of the song...

Sorry Shel I pollute your thread...or not? Guess not really since I'm encouraging another TG member to make a video post :-)

Cheers
Corina.

auntlynnie

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:08 am

Hi Michele (and everyone),
I have not posted a video in a long time. I think I've become much more self-critical and nothing seems good enough to post. I know how to make the videos, but honestly, I have trouble even posting a photo to this website. The only way I know to post a video is to post it on youtube then use a link. Is that how photos get posted?

I definitely think that posting videos would help my playing - it puts a bit more pressure on oneself to play cleanly. And yes, everyone is supportive. So why don't I? I honestly cannot say. I certainly enjoy the videos that everyone else posts. I suppose there are others, like me, who don't post videos.... I wonder what might motivate me?

lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic