Is there anyone who would like to post videos if only they knew how? Why don't you post more videos? Poll inside

jimcjimc

Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:10 pm

Hi Michele & others,

I find it doesn't take much time or planning to make a video with an iphone or ipad propped on a music stand. I prefer to upload to my youtube channel instead of using the busking uploader, as it gives me more control. ( For example, there are times I have made a video and uploaded to youtube, but then looked at it a day or two later and decided "it's crap or it's boring", so I can just delete it from my youtube channel.)

Sometimes there are issues with sound - can't hear the singing as guitar is too noisy or singing too quietly, so I use my "fancy" equipment:
a kodak ZI-8 on a tripod, a radioshack mike and a radioshack 4-way mixer to separate guitar and the singing (of course now, radioshack and the zi-8 are all obsolete, I guess)

I haven't tried any fancy editing or PIP as you have done.
I used to use MS moviemaker to clip the leading and trailing seconds, although I found recent versions of moviemaker don't work as well.
I have used iMovie on the Mac for some simple editing. I haven't tried the imovie app on the iphone yet.

PS - on the question of posting photos, (I could be wrong), but my guess is it works on a regular string in the forum via "Select image file to attach", but it may not work if you try to attach an image to a TG official post

sandysue

Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi everyone

I've posted a few of my music video's on Facebook, and I also post them on my you tube channel, but I have only posted one video to the TG forum, with some assistance from Vanessa. It just takes some effort to try and figure out exactly how to get the video from my iPhone camera or you tube channel, to end up exactly where I want it to on the TG forum. Like everything else in life, I'm sure it would be easy once I learned how.

Willem, you made me laugh when you mentioned remembering to at least comb your hair before you make a video, although I did see a video of Keith Richards on Facebook, and I'm pretty sure he hadn't combed his hair in a month of Sunday's. I guess you can get away with that when you're famous. :)

Sandy

TGNesh

Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:57 pm

Quilty as charged!! :laugh: :laugh: :P

willem wrote:
In all the years we been here we learned a lot of course, such has, keep in time, sustain notes, dynamics( simply said.on beat one and three 4/4 time) etc etc and we do want that in our playing or as the lesson told us and record the best version for a upload , thats a lot of practice time and then take a pill before we hit the record button, not the think a bout when we are half thru, is my hair right (lol).

Willem B)

willem

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:02 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi everyone

I've posted a few of my music video's on Facebook, and I also post them on my you tube channel, but I have only posted one video to the TG forum, with some assistance from Vanessa. It just takes some effort to try and figure out exactly how to get the video from my iPhone camera or you tube channel, to end up exactly where I want it to on the TG forum. Like everything else in life, I'm sure it would be easy once I learned how.

Willem, you made me laugh when you mentioned remembering to at least comb your hair before you make a video, although I did see a video of Keith Richards on Facebook, and I'm pretty sure he hadn't combed his hair in a month of Sunday's. I guess you can get away with that when you're famous. :)

Sandy
Glad you laughed, using your phone, tablet, iPad etc as an camera thats easy, but from that and put it on TG is difficult, in my knowledge you have to combine your phone, tablet or iPad with your laptop or pc and get it of and put on your laptop or pc and then do a upload to TG with the review or busker uploader,piece of cake!!

:laugh: :laugh: B)

sandysue

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:19 pm

HI Willem

Thanks for the advice. I'll download my video from my iPhone or iPad onto my iMac laptop and see if I can figure it out. Somehow I did put a video from you tube to TG forum one time, but I can't remember how I did that now. I'll figure it out again. :)

Sandy

willem

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:05 pm

sandysue wrote:
HI Willem

Thanks for the advice. I'll download my video from my iPhone or iPad onto my iMac laptop and see if I can figure it out. Somehow I did put a video from you tube to TG forum one time, but I can't remember how I did that now. I'll figure it out again. :)

Sandy
You know were to find the TG uploaders (for review or busking?)

Willem

michelew

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:06 pm

Wiley, Corina, Lynn, Jim, Sandy,

It's great to hear your experiences and views on this issue. There's no denying that posting videos is nerve wracking. I particularly dislike the wait for the first few responses come in. I tend to post at a time when US TG members are asleep, and invariably it's the Dutchies who rescue my self-esteem as I start second-guessing myself. So firstly a big thanks to the people who jump in and respond to videos. It's horrible when your video sits there for a while without a response and you start worrying that people don't know HOW to respond.

Wiley - I would LOVE to see your new fan fret in action. Please do make a video to show it off and let us know how it sounds. But, you don't have to wait til then. Listen to Corina. We know you know how, just jump. You'd be glad you did.

Corina - all assistance welcome. :)

Lynn - I SO know what you mean. Feeling like my playing isn't good enough and/or I just don't have the song down well enough and I can do better is something I also experience BIG time. Perfection never comes. You'll probably never be able to perform the song as well in front of the camera as you can when you're relaxed. But, the only person who will notice the imperfections is likely to be you. We are all our worse critics. I've seen how well you play. I know that I will enjoy anything you post, even if it has stumbles or anything else you may not be happy with. More importantly, if you're looking for feedback from our beloved teachers, then it's important to post before you've got it down. You may be practicing some bad habits into your piece, and they can of course help you to not only avoid that but help you to improve it more quickly than you probably can without their expert guidance. Ness has gotten me out of the habit of waiting until I've progressed as well as I can under my own steam. While it's always tempting to think I know I can do better if I just practice for a little longer, I've ALWAYS benefited when I've resisted that urge and posted a video that shows the issues I'm having and how I'm playing under pressure. Post, post, post; I'm really hoping you will. I'm confident that you'll also inspire people to learn whatever it is you decide to share and to upload their own videos.

Sandy - I often have problems with the TG video uploaders. If you are uploading for review by Neil and Ness then it's best that you do use them if you can. I'll post the links in a second. That way your video can be loaded into TG's system that allows Neil's and Vanessa's response and the relevant lesson itself (from memory) to also be linked to your video. But, sometimes it doesn't work. Of late I have just been uploading my videos (including TZZ posts) to youtube and then posting the link into a new TG thread in the right part of the forum. I'll post some links for that too. You know how to post a YouTube link on Facebook. I imagine it's the same for TG. For those who don't know how it works, all you need to do to get the right link is go into the video at youtube, highlight the webpage address (the URL) at the top the page, copy it and then paste that into a TG post. The TG system then does its magic and when you've posted it shows an actual video window instead of the webpage address. As Jim said, uploading the YouTube link gives you control and does allow you to take it down or upload a different take/version of your video if you become unhappy with your video for some reason.

Jim and Willem - thanks for sharing your experience. That's helpful.

michelew

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Links:

Here's the video uploader if you're a Target member and would like Neil or Vanessa to review your progress:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/index.php ... Itemid=223

Here's the link to the busking video uploader:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/busking/

Here's the busking folder on the forum if you decide to just paste a YouTube link into a new thread instead of using the busking video uploader:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... th-tg.html

Just press the new thread button, write your blurb into the window, paste your youtube link press post and then wait for the applause. :)

Here's a good place to post collaboration videos:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/129 ... tions.html

Again, start a new thread, write your blurb, post your link and Bob's your uncle.

I hope these help.

Shel

michelew

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:00 pm

Attention Neil, Matt and the Tech Wizards building the new TG website:

The video uploaders are a bit hidden. Can you please include a button, menu link on the front page of the forum that allows easy access to the video uploaders. I presume that the fact that there isn't a clear label/button/link now is a bit of a barrier to some people who would like to post videos for review or just to share what they're doign with the community.

Michele

michelew

Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:16 pm

If you look at the results of the poll, 3 people have responded with "another reason". I presume Vanessa is one of those people and she has explained why she doesn't post more videos.

So what are the other reasons? Neither Lynn, nor Sandy responded to the poll itself, so there are two people out there who have reasons we may not have heard yet. Feel like telling us about them? We may be able to help you overcome them. At worse, you may just find other people have the same issue. Sometimes it's validating to know that.

Let us know what's happening for you.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic