Is there anyone who would like to post videos if only they knew how? Why don't you post more videos? Poll inside

michelew

Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:19 pm

auntlynnie wrote:
Hi Michele (and everyone),

... I know how to make the videos, but honestly, I have trouble even posting a photo to this website. The only way I know to post a video is to post it on youtube then use a link. Is that how photos get posted?

lynn
Lynn,

Firstly photos need to be under a certain size, 2MB I think... Someone might confirm or correct that.

Here's how you do it. (I've insert the instructions as a photo, because I was getting a "internal error 500" message. I hope you can read it and that I haven't made too many typos. Let me know if you can't or it's not clear.

jweber71

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:20 pm

michelew wrote:
If you look at the results of the poll, 3 people have responded with "another reason". I presume Vanessa is one of those people and she has explained why she doesn't post more videos.

So what are the other reasons? Neither Lynn, nor Sandy responded to the poll itself, so there are two people out there who have reasons we may not have heard yet. Feel like telling us about them? We may be able to help you overcome them. At worse, you may just find other people have the same issue. Sometimes it's validating to know that.

Let us know what's happening for you.

M
For me, it's probably multiple reasons. Including the following: Being self conscious, I do not sing very well if at all, so some of the songs are just guitar strumming;

not knowing if I should post a video of the song once I think I have it down very, very well, or to post it during the learning stages when there are many mistakes included.

My thought is that if I was to post something, it should be something that I'm working on and need some help, but that means that I may not even be able to get through the whole song, it may be only part of a song along with the "attempt" to get through whichever part is giving me issues.

michelew

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi J (what would you like us to call you?),

Thanks for sharing. Yeh I get all of those reasons of course. Being self-conscious has always been a big one for me, but the more I post the better that gets. And I know how supportive the community always is. Try to ignore that little voice inside you that's telling you you're not good enough. It really doesn't deserve the Airtime. Similarly, I'm guessing your singing is better than you think it is. I'm not that happy with my singing either. I absolutely have more to learn in that department. A little while ago I decided "what the hell, I'm going to do it anyway". I think my singing has improved since then and the community is always sweet and supportive. We're all amatures just sharing one of the things we enjoy doing. No one will care that you're not a very good singer. Hey it never stopped Dylan and people pay to hear him. :)

Singing does make a difference when you're playing a strumming song. So if you can allow yourself to sing even though you're not completely happy with how you do it, then it will of course make your playing more interesting. There's also a lot to learn from playing and singing at the same time. It's definitely harder and will really give you an indication of how well you've internalised the song. But having said that there's also a lot of benefit in posting a video of just your strumming too. Another option, you could get someone else to sing for you.

Everyone's reason for posting a video is different. I used to work on songs until I felt comfortable sharing them. Knowing that I intended to make a video really made me practice until I was happy enough. It's motivating. I also post videos to share things Like collaboration projects (the TZZ videos).

I also post videos to seek advice on a song I'm learning. Vanessa definitely encourages people to post their progress often. You'll get more out of doing that than you ever expected to. Posting part of a song is a very valid approach too and one lots of people have used. If you're having trouble with a section it's an especially good approach. I'm sure you'll find that your song comes together more quickly if you post progress videos, even if they're really short. Besides Neil and Vanessa, there are many people in the community with keen eyes and ears who may be able to help you.

Nothing in that list is insurmountable. I encourage you to post a video for whatever reason feels right to you. Initially it might just be to break the ice and help yourself get over feeling self-conscious. Maybe choose something that you're comforatble playing. Believe me, the first video is the hardest.

I hope we see you posting something real soon.

Cheers

Michele

sandysue

Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:57 am

Hi Michele

You're a sweetheart for sharing all of this information on how to post on TG. It's really helpful for those of us who haven't posted much and aren't really familiar with how to use the TG website as well. Thank you for the links on getting a video from you tube, iPhone and iPad to the TG forum. That is really helpful.

Sandy

TGNesh

Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:26 am

Alright trying here.

:laugh: :laugh: Well I got sómething working here! But......upside down... :side: :S Edit: Well if you click on it, it does appear correctly.... oh well....Thanks Shel! Oh btw this is a picture of TG-member Patrick Binning, who came to see me for a guitar lesson earlier in the summer, when being in Europe for vacation. :)

michelew wrote:
auntlynnie wrote:

... I know how to make the videos, but honestly, I have trouble even posting a photo to this website. The only way I know to post a video is to post it on youtube then use a link. Is that how photos get posted?

lynn
Lynn,

Firstly photos need to be under a certain size, 2MB I think... Someone might confirm or correct that.

Here's how you do it. (I've insert the instructions as a photo, because I was getting a "internal error 500" message. I hope you can read it and that I haven't made too many typos. Let me know if you can't or it's not clear.

michelew

Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:09 pm

GREAT photo!

It's not upside down for me Ness. Good job inserting a photo.

Shel

michelew

Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:11 pm

sandysue wrote:
Hi Michele

You're a sweetheart for sharing all of this information on how to post on TG. It's really helpful for those of us who haven't posted much and aren't really familiar with how to use the TG website as well. Thank you for the links on getting a video from you tube, iPhone and iPad to the TG forum. That is really helpful.

Sandy
You're very welcome Sandy. Let us know how you go. I'll be looking out for your posts.

Shel

fjeanmur

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:50 am

Hey Michele,

I remember when you posted a similar question some time ago. My attitude has changed somewhat since then, but the results are still the same--no posts. At the time, I did not want my face on YouTube (and still don't). I know Vanessa suggested a way to keep the video private to just TG members, which was interesting.

However, now that I've been here for three years, I am thinking about it IF I could find the time, have the motivation and figure how to edit the video to what I want to show. I'm working on a Mac, so again Vanessa's post is helpful.

So if there are any suggestions about how to use my iPhone with my Mac, I might give it some more thought. I do enjoy watching what others are doing, so I should share too, right?

willem

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:12 pm

You need a mice vanessa

Edit..a right mice of course.. lol

:laugh: :laugh: Well I got sómething working here! But......upside down... :side: :S Edit: Well if you click on it, it does appear correctly.... oh well....Thanks Shel! Oh btw this is a picture of TG-member Patrick Binning, who came to see me for a guitar lesson earlier in the summer, when being in Europe for vacation. :)

michelew wrote:
auntlynnie wrote:

lynn
Lynn,

Here's how you do it. (I've insert the instructions as a photo, because I was getting a "internal error 500" message. I hope you can read it and that I haven't made too many typos. Let me know if you can't

] Image

michelew

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:01 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
Hey Michele,

I remember when you posted a similar question some time ago. My attitude has changed somewhat since then, but the results are still the same--no posts. At the time, I did not want my face on YouTube (and still don't). I know Vanessa suggested a way to keep the video private to just TG members, which was interesting.

However, now that I've been here for three years, I am thinking about it IF I could find the time, have the motivation and figure how to edit the video to what I want to show. I'm working on a Mac, so again Vanessa's post is helpful.

So if there are any suggestions about how to use my iPhone with my Mac, I might give it some more thought. I do enjoy watching what others are doing, so I should share too, right?
Hi Jean! I was hoping to hear from you on this issue.

I use iMovie and Apple equipment as you know. The easiest way to get your video onto your Mac is to use the cable that plugs into your iPhone charger. The end that plugs into the charger itself is a USB connector. You simply plug the USB end into the back of the Mac, the other end being connected to your iPhone of course. That will open your photos app on your Mac. You'll then be given the option to download all or some of your photos and videos from your phone to your Mac. If you haven't done that before, and you have a lot of photos and video, it could take a while. But you can of course just select the video you want to edit. The same approach works for iPads.

Once the video is on your Mac, you can open iMovie and it's easy to import the video into a project or event. Once you have a project open, you should be able to just drag it in. You can then select the section of video you want, crop the image itself and add titles and such.

If you give me a better idea of the things you know how to do and especially the things you need explained, I'm happy to give you more details. Either respond here or send me a PM.

I hope this helps you take the next step. Seriously, once you've posted your first video and the responses start coming in you'll be wondering why you didn't do it sooner and planning your next one. :)

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic