On The Beat - Episode 310 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up October 9th, 2015

tgjameela

Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Hey Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -9th-2015/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Last week I mentioned that we would be moving the News to Wednesdays. After further review we decided to bring in a new
mid-week feature, Quick Tips, which may become more frequent than once a week anyway. This would also be a place where
I could address short questions from the Community so feel free to post any in the Questions For Neil Forum.

So getting back to the established, rambling nature of the News, I talked about the question of chord charts versus chords over
words, thumb picks (playing examples of songs I might use one for), the TG World Map, some bits on a Blues Section, tips on
embedding YT videos into Forum posts, and cool things I ran into in the Busking channel.

As the week unfolded we went way back into the early San Francisco music scene with Laugh Laugh by The Beau Brummels,
Eva Cassidy’s arrangement of Over The Rainbow, and a peek inside Sandy’s latest project, Fire And Rain by James Taylor.
Something that almost disappeared from my radar was a solo arrangement of In My Life that I was working on many weeks ago.
I moved a few other projects over to side burners to put together a little Play Through of it that will probably turn into a lesson
soon. One of the obstacles with a piece like this is deciding how much trouble is worth going to in the name of accuracy. The
short harpsichord-like solo takes a Level 6 song into the Level 11 range unfortunately (well, at least Level 9).

Other than that, nice ride this morning and I hope you enjoy the return to the stream of consciousness approach!

michelew

Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Neil,

Nice shirt!

Thanks for the thumb pick tips. I do have a couple of those planet waves ones, which I've shortened. I'll try the pounding approach you've suggested. It might work for me for that style.

Can you give us an anticipated delivery time for the new site? I'm really hoping it will resolve some of the issues I have, such as strange error messages and issues with the uploader in particular. A suggestion, it would be useful to have a number of different pages where you include links to lessons relevant to a specific style or genre. For example, there are some great fingerpicking songs on the site, but you can't tell which lessons are fingerpicking from the menu. It's just a way of focusing in on them and I think it would really help people who aren't familiar with the site. You could also have a beginners page, for example. I know there are ways of finding this stuff, but this would just make accessing lessons a little easier at times and also serve as a reminder of what's available. Likewise a - try them if you dare - crazy hard lessons page. :)

It's Saturday for me. I have to say I've been missing Vanessa's lessons. They are normally the highlight of my weekend as they've been coming in on a Saturday morning for me for a while. Maybe you'll post the next one later today. I do have heaps to keep me busy, and I especially like the Eva offering this week. But, I always get something out of Vanessa's lesson temptations/treats, even if it's just the inspiration I get from her playthroughs (which are performance lessons all by themselves) to get better and to finish another of the songs she's taught. I imagine others have missed them too. Hey maybe I should start a poll. :) haha just kidding. Anyway, I hope we'll see one from her soon.

Thanks

I hope you have a relaxing weekend.

Michele

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:16 pm

Neil

Cool news .

Quick Tip Question
How do you overcome strumming patterns and strum random but
still sound like the song whatever it may be.
What's your take on it ?

Michelle
You'll probably see Vanessa on Friday :dry: :ohmy:

:laugh: :laugh:

Click Image To Enlarge:

michelew

Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Gosh Dermot! I already have enough trouble knowing at day of the week it is. :)

davidrfinn99165

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:00 am

Haha Dermot, that's great.... :) :)

and Shel, you're right.. i miss Vanessa too. Vanessa's song announces the arrival of my weekend... has she been kidnapped? I guess it'll be up to us northern Europeans to launch a rescue team.

wrsomers

Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Neil,
I'm glad you liked "Play Me". I'm going to hold you to that promise of a discussion on that song and would love to see a lesson. Especially on the guitar solo. I'd love to see a chord solo or the like. I've tried working on it but just can't get it.
Thanks,
Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic