On The Beat - Episode 311 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up October 16th, 2015

tgjameela

Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:51 pm

Hey Everyone!

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready!

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 16th-2015/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Today’s News had a bunch of random playing, some recent lessons, some future prospects, some works in progress, and a few to be harnessed
and focused later, maybe. I may have even given enough info to figure out the chords to God Only Knows, as requested on the Forum this morning.
Speaking of lessons influenced by the Forum, the 12-string thread inspired a short (very short!) lesson on Neil Young’s Thrasher, from Rust Never
Sleeps. An essential album as far as I am concerned, I hope it’s in everybody’s collection.

The other new releases this week included the start of the solo arrangement of In My Life, The Eagles’ Try And Love Again, a discussion with Ed on
swing time and triplets
(with a little look at Hula Blues), and we probably wrapped up our Beau Brummels library with Just A Little.

The News ended with a little more blues and a reminder of the new IGC California dates, Mon-Fri Aug 29-Sep 2.

Till next week-

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

sbutler

Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:25 am

So , starting from the top. By all means, we need to see/hear what Tommy song Chris was working on

#2, Your Ragtime teaser sounds like a lot of fun

#3 If you next teaser was \Claptons, "Change the World" I'll be on that one like a Duck on a Junebug.

I need a little break from my latest project, ahemm, and Change the world is one of my all time Clapton Favorites.

Other wise, glad to be home and seeing you again.
Scott

dtaylor

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:31 pm

I agree with you Scott, the ragtime is always a pleasure to listen to, and it was nice to see a few of the moves that went into it have been covered in previous lessons here. It gets my vote for sure.

fjeanmur

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Hey Niel!

That "trill" thing you mentioned on the news. I was wondering about that as I was listening to the play through. I'm thinking about my piano lessons as a kid. Aren't those called "mordants' and "inverted mordants"? Am I remembering correctly?

vzg14

Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi Neil,

If those weren't "trills" I'm going to guess something from grade school music classes and go with "grace" notes. I'm not sure if this is the type of terminology that you were looking for in the trivia question, but that's my guess.

-Victor

thereshopeyet

Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:34 pm

Gosh

It's the Wednesday Weekly News already !! :ohmy:
Neil how can you remember all these tunes ?
:ohmy:

Dermot

Click Image To Enlarge:
Cartoon From Internet :dry:

familyman4

Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Hey Neil ,

I finally got around to watching the news from last Friday . Great Job on the instrumental of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" to start the show!!!! Good instrumentals all around as always.

I noticed that you requested a 12 string version of Thrasher from me since I commented on it. I'll throw some new strings on my Guild this weekend and get it posted next week. It's been a while since I've posted anything so I'll do that since you called me out.

Sorry I was late getting to the news from last week. Heck, I'll get to watch this weeks segment tomorrow B)

Thanks again for all you do!
Bart

fjeanmur

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:03 pm

So Niel, what is the answer to the trivia question? Are those "trills" mordants, grace notes or what?

TGNeil

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:10 pm

fjeanmur wrote:
So Niel, what is the answer to the trivia question? Are those "trills" mordents, grace notes or what?
Jean,

You had it from the get go. Mordents, a common embellishment from the Baroque era. They can be upper or lower, these are lower as opposed to the inverted, or upper mordents. This is a lot of what gave this the Baroque sound.

Only my lute playing days kept these on my radar.

Good work!... and memory.

Neil

TGNesh

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:58 am

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thereshopeyet wrote:

Click Image To Enlarge:
Cartoon From Internet :dry:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic