On The Beat - Episode 319 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up December 18th, 2015

BigBear

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Hey Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Enjoy!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 18th-2015/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Anybody remember housecalls?

Somewhat still hobbled by a damaged digit, lesson production pretty much ground to a halt on my end. But thanks to
Max Rich, we were treated to a little lesson on Bossa Nova rhythms and techniques. I look forward to a few more on
the way from Max, courtesy of TotallyElectricGuitars. We did get a glimpse of Chris working on Ladye Nothinge’s Toye Puffe
by John Renbourn
, and another entry from the Inside The Mind series, ear training tips called, “What Chord Was That?“.

I had a chance to offer opinions on a couple Forum threads, including the hijacked restringing one that became a capo
discussion, and thoughts on slowing down Quicksand (probably something I should have tried off camera first).

Tangent time: Beethoven’s birthday came and went Wednesday and coincidentally I had a very special request to play
Linus And Lucy for a memorial that morning. More of the story is in the News, maybe too much. Where are those censors
and editors when you need them?

I’m glad to see the Busking thread staying so active and particularly want to welcome MarkM back into the limelight with
a great rendition of Deal.

I also added a big hint to last week’s mystery song that was not by Orleans, by playing a bit of one of their big hits.
Although maybe butchering would be a better description.

Well, probably no News next Friday but maybe we’ll have something between Christmas and New Year’s. Regardless,
I hope everybody has a healthy and happy Holiday Season and gets some down time with friends and family.

Neil

davidrfinn99165

Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:17 am

Thx for the update Neil. You're looking very cheerful for a guitarist with a severed finger !! You wanna see me when I break a nail...

And playing well too... Hope it continues to heal quickly.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:31 am

Happy holidays too Neil!

On Yesterday, Daryl, did we do it in F or G? It was G wasn't it, the high version! You were putting me through my paces!

daryl

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:01 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Happy holidays too Neil!

On Yesterday, Daryl, did we do it in F or G? It was G wasn't it, the high version! You were putting me through my paces!
Sorry to disappoint but I was tuned down a whole step. I played in G and you sang in F.

And per Neil's research request.......as of August of this year (2015) McCartney is still playing Yesterday tuned down ONE whole step:

familyman4

Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:48 pm

Really enjoyed this week's "OTB" update! Even with a bad wing (finger) you can make the guitar sing beautifully:)

Glad you could call in a favor and get a house call from the surgeon. Nice to have friends with special skills....

Loved the acoustic version of "Free Will" by Rush at the end of the video. Some songs just never occur to me to play on an acoustic guitar. You have a special way of making that happen & sound so good. Thanks! Vanessa did that with a lesson a short time back as well and it just blew me away. My "to do" list keeps getting longer and my guitar time keeps getting shorter. There is definitely something wrong with that picture....

Happy Holiday's to all....
Bart

mweston

Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:51 pm

Aha! Last week's song was Bombay Calling by It's A Beautiful Day? It's been driving me crazy all week. I knew I had heard that song before.

So that's the third (that I've noticed) song by It's A Beautiful Day we've been teased with during an episode of On the Beat. When do we get lessons?

MarcW

willem

Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:51 pm

daryl wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
Happy holidays too Neil!

Sorry to disappoint but I was tuned down a whole step. I played in G and you sang in F.

And per Neil's research request.......as of August of this year (2015) McCartney is still playing Yesterday tuned down ONE whole step:
:laugh: Daryl, you were thinkin in G, B) and played in F :woohoo:

daryl

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:11 pm

willem wrote:
daryl wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
Happy holidays too Neil!

Willem, You are technically correct. I was "thinking in G" but because my ear is so bad I also thought/heard that I was "playing in G" too! Even Chris thought he was "singing in G" too! In the video it sure did "look" like I was playing in G! But in reality everyone was hearing the key of F.

So what is the proper terminology in this case (when the guitar is tuned down a half or whole step)? Is one "playing" the key that one "sees" or that one "hears"?

TGNesh

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:13 pm

Btw i've looked it up, Paul did write the song on a piano, but he wrote it in key of G and not, which i had kinda speculated, in F. It's indeed quite likely that he tuned the guitar down on the recording for vocal reasons.

tombo1230

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:17 pm

daryl wrote:
willem wrote:
daryl wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

Willem, You are technically correct. I was "thinking in G" but because my ear is so bad I also thought/heard that I was "playing in G" too! Even Chris thought he was "singing in G" too! In the video it sure did "look" like I was playing in G! But in reality everyone was hearing the key of F.

So what is the proper terminology in this case (when the guitar is tuned down a half or whole step)?
Is it not just called tuning to E flat, or D for a whole step? Never heard it called anything else. :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic