An original - The Wrench

wiley

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:08 pm

Hopefully this works. I know I have made several promises down through the years so........

This is dedicated to Dan, AKA "Wrench" - story is, at the first IGC (2013) Dan, Jason , Bear, Lynn and who knows who else were sitting in the general area admiring Jason's 3 inch folders of sheet music, just talking and such. Somehow out of somewhere the first parts of this hit me. Over the last several years I've worked it to this. IGC 2014, I opened the 'amateur' part of the first night's open mics with a fingerstyle version. Since I have no fingernails to speak of at this time, the pick took over. The crazy thing is, every time I pick this up and play I always see Dan sitting there. So - I call it "The Wrench".

And yes, that's the Avain Skylark. The fan fret isn't really noticeable from this angle.

Recorded using nothing more than an iPad Air and a Blue Spark lightning digital microphone, and using iMovie to edit.

familyman4

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:18 pm

Nice job Wiley! I am thinking that I remember your fingerpicking debut of this song year before last? Seems like it anyway.

I almost didn't recognize you in this video. With the headphones and the weight loss, you look different....

Bart

lueders

Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:37 pm

That sounds VERY nice Wiley! :)
It is Quite Pleasant Soothing.
It's unique too.

sandysue

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:45 pm

Sounds really nice Wiley. Nice flat picking. Your recording sounds great with your iPad. You've lost weight lately. Looks like you're taking good care of yourself and controlling your diabetes better. Thank you for sharing your video with us. We'd all love to hear more of your recordings. :)

Sandy

michelew

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:06 am

Hey Wiley it's great to see you demonstrating your Avain Skylark. She's a beauty.

Well I've just gotten home from work and I'm now feeling a lot more chilled after listening to your creation. Who knew that Wrench was so calming? :) well he's a sweet guy too so that probably fits just as well for him.

It's great to see you showing us your stuff. You're coaxing some sweet sounds out of that beauty. :)

Cool.

M

willem

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:16 am

Inconceivably.

realy wow Wiley. (To be short)

jayswett

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:04 am

Well done, Wiley. The song was lovely, but in addition to that, the entire presentation was solid, with the wood behind you, the sound, etc. Very, very pleasant video.

daryl

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:27 am

Nicely done! I think I remember one other video from you. Is it true that this one is only #2? Surely that can't be. Hopefully, this will be the start of many more to come. At least I hope so. Now it's time for you to add a bass line to your creation and a 2nd guitar and perhaps a melody too!

auntlynnie

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:41 am

Wow, great job, Wiley,
Good, solid playing, too!
And I love the story - just knew it had something to do with Dan when I saw your post.
Thanks for sharing this,
Lynn

Music Junkie

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:37 am

Wiley:

Great to see and hear this clip. I remember you pulling a wonderful rendition of this off at the 2nd IGC.

You are looking great, my friend. I hope Dan stops in and listens. I know is has been super busy.

Talk to you soon.

B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic