mcmurry1

Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Happy Easter!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... 25th-2016/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

Today I had a couple planned tangents that got derailed with an unplanned one
on using a capo and the five families of keys we like to play in as guitar players.
Somewhere along the line I got to a planned one, a comparison between
alternate picking and cross picking.

There was a brief rundown of the new stuff, along with a story on how I got back
to the King Crimson lesson. I was even inspired to brave the dark recesses of our
haunted basement where the LPs are housed to share some disturbing album
artwork. I think I eventually played excerpts of 4 of the 5 songs on the album,
which may translate into some future lessons.

Along with the Greg Lake ramblings this week, we had a look at a couple other
Lobo songs, a Listen Up Challenge on I'd Love You To Want Me, and a lesson I
meant to do as a challenge before it presented some ideas that needed more
explanation, Don't Expect Me To Be Your Friend.

The Fly On The Wall lesson this week went into the intro to Desperado. I probably
don't thank Sandy enough for her willingness to let the camera run and never
think about it but I know many of you appreciate those lessons and it is a good
way for me to archive some useful info. Archived well but catalogued, a
completely different matter.

On to the end of March...

Neil

sbutler

Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Good wrap up. Funny thing about that cross picking part in the King Crimson song, I pegged that for Greg Lake before I knew he was in that band. His style stands out.

AND, I for one, will take all the CAGED lessons you can work in. For some reason, I can understand it the day you explain it, then a week later, not so much. I don't know why it's such a hard concept to retain, but for some reason it is.

Happy Easter everyone.
Scott

TGNeil

Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:55 pm

Hey Scott,

Funny how we associate that sound with Greg Lake. I would have to guess that on that King Crimson album it was played by Robert Fripp, as Greg was just listed as bass & vocals. One of the stories Greg tells is that he and Fripp grew up together and took lessons from the same teacher. Greg used the exact pattern on the Am chord in his tune The Sage, and then everywhere else, like Still... You Turn Me On and C'est La Vie. My guess that the minor add 9 with the chromatic up and down change was Fripp's.

Another aside, the second album's title tune, In The Wake Of Poseidon, was pretty much a rehash of Epitaph. Greg was on his way out of the band and on his way to ELP but sang most of the songs on the second album.

sbutler

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:24 pm

Neil, The Sage is exactly what I was thinking of. If it's not Greg, it's certainly someone who had an important influence on him.

Thanks for the news within the news.

cosmicmechanic

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:33 pm

Neil, about that extra doodling you teased in the last part of this update ... go for it !

The wind does not hear
The wind cannot hear

Pierre

skaladar

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:55 am

It’s no secret that I have a major affinity for early progressive rock so I was especially interested in this week’s wrap-up. In the thread introducing the lesson for “In the Court of the Crimson King” I mention both “Epitaph” and “Schizoid Man” by King Crimson. It’s great to see those two songs in this wrap-up as well as a glimpse at a finger style chord solo for Crimson King. What I never even considered was the ending play out. Needless to say I totally agree with Pierre. Go for it! The wind may not hear but I hope others here do. I just added “I Talk to the Wind” to the recommend a lesson list. I think it would be a great addition.

♫ - Ken - ♫

cosmicmechanic

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:07 am

skaladar wrote:
It’s no secret that I have a major affinity for early progressive rock so I was especially interested in this week’s wrap-up. In the thread introducing the lesson for “In the Court of the Crimson King” I mention both “Epitaph” and “Schizoid Man” by King Crimson. It’s great to see those two songs in this wrap-up as well as a glimpse at a finger style chord solo for Crimson King. What I never even considered was the ending play out. Needless to say I totally agree with Pierre. Go for it! The wind may not hear but I hope others here do. I just added “I Talk to the Wind” to the recommend a lesson list. I think it would be a great addition.♫ - Ken - ♫
Hear Here ! :side:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic