Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:59 pm

Hi everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Enjoy your weekend!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/blog/guit ... -1st-2016/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

This week I pretty much stayed on the path that started last week, listening
to way too much early King Crimson, and related music. This led to the
update on From The Beginning as well as I Talk To The Wind.

I have had a lot of fun messing around with some of these melodies, as you
will see throughout today's News.

Along with the usual rundown of the week's new content, I went into some
recent things on the Forum, a bit about the CAGED approach to changing
capo spots in songs, thoughts on duplicate posts (including a little sinister
pleasure that occasionally crops up), and a little nod to the Frank Zappa
post. I probably gave a couple hints on upcoming possible lessons as well.

In case you missed anything, the new lessons this week included Vanessa's
look at The Heart Of The Matter by Don Henley, a listening lesson on I Talk
To The Wind
by King Crimson (and Greg Lake's solo approach), Fred's
FOTW
going over Lobo's I'd Love You To Want Me (although it was more
about CAGED and the capo than the song itself), and an update with
corrections and variations on From The Beginning. We also had a review of
Craig's upload
of the solo version of Yesterday.

Welcome to April and enjoy the weekend,

Neil

jayswett

Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:18 am

Loved that peformance at the end. Inspiring. I do look forward to these updates during my drive home on Fridays.

skaladar

Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:28 am

Hi Neil … thanks for the great wrap-up. A few comments if I may.

I have to respectfully disagree with a comment I believe you’ve made more than once. You mention “listening to way too much early King Crimson and related music” It’s my belief that this is a human impossibility *said in a tongue in cheek fashion*. Granted, my opinion may be biased because of my love of prog rock but I do think that the evolvement of said genre has had great influence on music and will endure for generations to come. I’m very happy you seem to share your appreciation and bring it to TG.

To that end, I was thrilled to see you did release a lesson on “I Talk to the Wind”. I’ve been through it and will undoubtedly have some questions, mostly regarding “dressing it up” a bit beyond Greg Lake's version as well as cross and alt picking (it seems to go back and forth). I’ll post in the related lesson thread when I’ve explored it a little more.

Finally, you teased us with the idea of exploring “Take a Pebble” as a lesson. I, for one, would welcome that. I have no idea how you would do that short of a chord solo instrumental but I’ve given up on trying to understand how you make lessons out of pieces of work that I can’t imagine playing on the guitar. I was also wondering *again said with tongue planted firmly in cheek* if you planned to include Florian Opahle’s addition to "Take a Pebble" as was featured in the “Greg Lake in 2005” post/video?

Thanks again …

♫ - Ken - ♫

P.S. You’ve seen Robert Fripp smile?

TGNeil

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:03 am

And as far as the guitar solo that Florian Opahle plays in Take A Pebble, it is mostly fast scales in various keys, Dm, Em, then Am, some noodling around a Dm triad at the 5th fret, a Carcassi Study In A Major (altered from the original triplets into straight 4/4 time), a little right hand tapping, some flamenco noodling with moving an E shape up and down, closing with a typical Spanish Am-G-F-E flourish. It is definitely something you would expect to see more at a Tommy Emmanuel concert than a Greg Lake one, and you can certainly understand Greg's admiration for his skills as they are well beyond Greg's, but I was more impressed with what he added with his electric guitar parts on many of the other songs.

A few years later he spent time touring with Ian Anderson and added a lot to classic Jethro Tull songs, resurrecting almost the same solo as in Take A Pebble on occasion. He is definitely a great, young talent.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic