Never Too Close

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:35 am

Michele had us explain what motivates us and I've been thinking abut that for a while as I noticed how I tick. Its wanting to play a certain song that gets me going and then finding out how to play it (maybe I am in luck and there's a lesson on TG for it) and seeing if I can get it done, or not. So. while watching soccer on TV, I thought I'd tackle Never Too Close by Gordon Lightfoot. I love the songs on that Summertime Dream album. So, I can do a camp-fire Travis picking accompaniment and sing it ok, then added harmonies before the match was over. So far I only needed half my brain! So far so good, but, as you will hear, it really needs that lovely lead guitar and intro/outro to make it come alive.... and that could take me weeks to sort out.

So I thought I'd post what I did here and add the improvements as it develops (or not!) over the next few days weeks. Maybe Corina or Miss Ale will sing the harmonies for me, maybe I can learn the lead, maybe I can get my go-to-guitarist Daryl to do that for me? Maybe I start from scratch as by now I can hear more clearly what's lacking!

Anyway, this is what motivates me, having an idea and seeing if it can be done and how it turns out, I guess i enjoy the challenge. Also its motivating for me to share this with folks at TG and see how it develops as, otherwise, I'm just home alone whistling in the dark!!

Craig

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Chris,

I really like what you have so far. Your voice is wonderful for this song. I can see where a little lead and a female harmony might make it more "full", but I wouldn't add too much as it stands on it's own pretty well.

Thanks for sharing your project and thought process with us. I'm looking forward to seeing what you, and some of the more talented members, come up with.

Craig

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks for tuning in Craig! Daryl was in like Flynn on this and added bass already, so here is take 2....

wrsomers

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:09 pm

Great job Chris! I liked the first take and the second is even better. Congrats to Daryl for an effective but subtle bass addition.

Bill

TGNesh

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:06 am

What a great job Chris, very nice!

Don't know the song, but really like the feel of it. You and Daryl once again make an awesome team! Come to think, shouldn't you guys have a name as well? :P

Thanks for sharing what you're working on and what is inspiring you!

Ness

willem

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:45 am

I realy like this, I listen to the original too, add the few little solo parts and you're there

makin' music thats the thread were it belongs,,

Willem.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:41 am

Thanks for tuning in Bill, Vanessa and Willem :)

If you are listening to take 2 on your computer speakers it can be that you don't hear the bass Daryl added. I can't on mine, needed to put headphones on which led to a me almost deleting take 2 after making it in AVS video editor as I could not hear the bass I thought I just added. It was actually in the trash before I rescued it when I realised the bass really was there... just couldn't hear it on the computer speakers!

davidrfinn99165

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:14 am

This is sounding really good already chris and daryl...

..and it is a lot of fun to hear how the different takes build on each other. thx for sharing.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks for tuning in David!

Here's take 3 with Darly on lead..... :-) love it!

michelew

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:43 pm

Nice one Chris and Daryl! I enjoyed takes one and two. I'm looking forward to take 3 at lunchtime.

I do love hearing how the tracks build up the song.

Actually I'm having trouble hearing the bass on my phone through buds so I may wait until I get home so I can listen to it through proper headphones.

Thanks for the peek. :)

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic