On The Beat - Episode 346 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up July 15th, 2016

tovo

Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up is ready.

Have a great weekend!

http://blog.totallyguitars.com/guitar-n ... 15th-2016/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tota ... d519276594

After missing a couple weeks of updates, things are getting closer to normal again.

We had a few new lessons over the missing weeks, including a couple Johnny Cash
songs, A Boy Named Sue and Personal Jesus, a couple from Coldplay, The Scientist
and Fix You, Stormy by The Classics IV, and Jesus To A Child by George Michael.

We also have a new addition to the Campfire Guitar Series with a set of songs
designed to work on barre chords.

Some things I touched on included the Forum questions about 4ths and 5ths, and
expectations of professional musicians, which certainly varies by genre.

I also gave a brief rundown of the Northern California road trip Nani and I took last
week. It included stops in Stinson Beach, Mendocino, Ferndale and Mt. Shasta.

If all goes well with a couple small projects I should be back in lesson creation
mode soon.

Stay Tuned & In Touch,

Neil

sbutler

Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:12 am

Yes Neil, I had been working on, " While my guitar gently weeps", but honestly, summer projects and motorcycle trips have impeded my practice time.

But I ain't a quitter, I'll get back to it soon.

Scott

kelemenj

Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:30 am

Sounds like s great trip. The Sierra Nevada Brewery, I am a little envious. :laugh:

Hope you get around to posting a transcription to your arrangement of Satin Doll.

Welcome Back,

John

thereshopeyet

Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:05 pm

Neil, Vanessa and Max

It's great to have the weekly[strike] rant[/strike] news back :laugh: :laugh:
The week is not complete without it.
Thanks for answering my question too !

Some brilliant lessons this week.....
I wish I could keep up !

Dermot

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:08 pm

15 seconds in, I'm thinking, Neil has new strings on his guitar. Glad to know my ears are still sharp! :laugh:

michelew

Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:32 pm

Hey Neil,

Sounds like you had a relaxing break, nice.

It's great to hear you enjoyed our Traces rendition. There's so much in the original that we could have added on top of what we have even. It's a rich song and very cool. I got a lot out of learning the bass line.

I enjoyed your discussion about the circle of fifths. It never ceases to amaze me how much information is in it and how many applications it can be used for. Your trick about working out the key by the last # is cool; did you mean in the key signature itself or the notes in the music generally? I guess that doesn't work so well for blues and other genres where you have flattened notes that aren't in the key signature. But of course I haven't tried yet.

I sometime build a song around a melody (singing or bass line). On a couple of occasions I've found it tricky to actually work out what the key is, because I'm using notes that don't seem to belong in a specific key. I find it helps (to confirm or find the right key) if you work out the additional notes that can be used once you consider the notes in the relative minor keys too (harmonic, melodic). But.... I'm still such a babe in the woods with music theory beyond the basics. I still have so much to learn. I guess the note that it gravitates to is the biggest hint. But,... Then of course there's the possibility of modes... :woohoo: If you've got any other thoughts on this issue I'd love to hear them. Maybe I should always start with the progression first rather than upside down via a melody. :) it must be a hangover of living upside down and down under. :)

So your explanation combined with Vanessa's music theory segment this week were good for testing my brain and expanding my understanding.

Thanks!

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic